Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Alexandre Laquerre <al...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/21 15:32:08 UTC

Vista Connection Problem

Hi All,
I don't know if I am writting this to the right person, but I will give
it a try since I am out of ressources.

I have big problems with checking out or updating projects using
Tortoise SVN on 2 Windows Vista machine.  The problem is weird since it
used not to do this and everything used to be fine, but now things are
broken and it drives me nuts.  Here is the problem.

When I try to do an update or a check out, I loose connection with the
server after a few minutes. That seems to be a lot of time, but in fact,
the connection speed in about 50 kB/s for the first second and then
suddenly drops to close to nothing and I always end up with something
like "The remote serveur has forcely closed the connection".

At first, I thought that my ISP was doing some throttling and I have
switched to another one that does not do throttling on any ports and I
still have the problem.

Some repositories on other server (for example the repository of
PgAdmin III) is working perfectly.

I have tried to run Ubuntu on my machine (the same that has Vista) and
SVN is also working fine, so this is why I think is not my internet
provider but rather Vista that is broken somehow.

Did a virus test, nothing.

I don't understand why some repositories are working and some don't.

I have tried to turn off the TCP-Autotuning with "netsh interface tcp
set global autotuninglevel=disabled",  but it did not do it for me.

It looks like it is a combination of Vista and the server I am getting
the code from.

Does anybody knows how to fix that cause, as I said, I am out of ressources.

Thank you very much!
Alex

RE: Re: Vista Connection Problem

Posted by Alexandre Laquerre <al...@alexandrelaquerre.com>.
Ok, problem fixed!

I was talking to the server admin of the rep I was using and he found the problem.

Basically, the driver of their network was broken so he deactivate it.

Now everything is fine.

Apparently, it was super unsually.  The fact that it was working at some place and not... as if the network card was somehow picky...

Anyway, thanks for you help!
Problem fixed!

RE: Re: Vista Connection Problem

Posted by Alexandre Laquerre <al...@alexandrelaquerre.com>.
Hi,
Thanks for the tip, but it did not work either.
I tried with Slik SVN.

As I said, it is weird.  I can do anything from another provider with the same computer.

And it also seems to work with Ubuntu with my home ISP and the same machine.

I really thought it was the provider, but since I can do a checkout of PgAdmin III code, I think it is somehow a combination of Vista + ISP + SVN Server that cause me all of that trouble.

I am clueless...

Re: Re: Vista Connection Problem

Posted by Mark Parker <go...@gmail.com>.
Odd, I don't know what to say.

Posted by Mark Parker <go...@gmail.com>.
Alexandre Laquerre wrote:
> Hi All,
> It looks like it is a combination of Vista and the server I am getting
> the code from.
>
> Thank you very much!
> Alex

Have you tried using the command-line client? Maybe it's Tortoise that's
giving you trouble. I use Subversion on various Vista and Windows 7
machines all day every day and I've never had a single hiccup.