Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Shahim Essaid <sh...@essaid.com> on 2012/10/16 01:21:39 UTC

Is it possible to add Feature(s) to Top?

Hi All,

Does the UIMA API provide a way to add features to the base type
system? I see that the default TS is created and locked in CASImpl so
I am assuming that there is no API way for doing this.  Can I add
additional features in the CASImpl code (and modify the Java cover
classes in jcas) and recompile? Will this work? Does the rest of the
API make any assumptions about the Top type and what features it can
have?

The reason I am asking is that  I want to add few String features to
capture some metadata about each annotation instance in a generic way
even if the instances are created by an independent Annotator or PEAR.

Thanks,
Shahim

Re: Is it possible to add Feature(s) to Top?

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
On 16/10/12 01:21, Shahim Essaid wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does the UIMA API provide a way to add features to the base type
> system? I see that the default TS is created and locked in CASImpl so
> I am assuming that there is no API way for doing this.  Can I add
> additional features in the CASImpl code (and modify the Java cover
> classes in jcas) and recompile? Will this work? Does the rest of the
> API make any assumptions about the Top type and what features it can
> have?
>
> The reason I am asking is that  I want to add few String features to
> capture some metadata about each annotation instance in a generic way
> even if the instances are created by an independent Annotator or PEAR.
>
> Thanks,
> Shahim

Off the top of my hat, I don't recall anything that would prevent that.

--Thilo