Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Alberto <ab...@ogs.trieste.it> on 2012/04/13 19:03:04 UTC

Forms and maps

Hi,

I'm using cocoon 2.1.12-dev and I'm facing how to include a map in
cocoon forms.
I have to do simple things from flowscript: load a kml url and receive
the coordinates of an area selection.
I'm considering to use OpenLayers or Google Maps. Looking sources I
found already existing widget classes for GoogleMaps
(org.apache.cocoon.forms.formmodel.GoogleMap) but it is undocumented and
using it I have the following error: "Non-existing component for this
hint (Key='googlemap')". Moreover it seems it lacks methods to load a
kml file.

So, which is the best way to do it? The googlemap widget is working?
I have to write a new widget following the document
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonFormsCreatingWidgets?

Any suggest is welcome

Best regards

Alberto

RE: Forms and maps

Posted by mi...@digikartta.net.
 Yep,
 this fits for the theories and it holds true mostly. But..
 it depends on the stakeholders you are dealing with.

 If you are building apps and services for others or for production
 anyways, there's no point on using beta code and in no case, alpha. Also
 there is no point of choosing the latest technology if there is no
 point.
 If you have proven track record of something so stable that it has been
 running for ten years without problems, like Torsten mentioned, why
 don't use it if it suits for the needs. Some times it's trendy to
 introduce the latest software for your clients, sometimes not. For
 example, governmental offices may like more 'the good old' stuff than
 the latest.

 C3 and HTML5. Have you got any examples? That would be something for us
 in future.

 Don't get me wrong. I am just a single member of some single minority
 and have my own opinions and further more a lot of questions and
 thoughts to share. And as a non native English speaker always in danger
 of being misunderstood, especially among of others like.

 cheers,
 - mika -

RE: Forms and maps

 <sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/18/2012 07:58 AM, mika@digikartta.net wrote:
>>
>> Ciao Alberto,
>> you'll probably right.
>>
>> What comes to Cocoon lifecycle, I don't get it. Has C3 anything in
>> common with C2 except the concept of pipelines? Can you do the same
>> things with it?
>> When C2.2 was published, I fell off the wagon because of techical
>> differences. C3 knocked me out for good. If you think of the user
>> coming from C2.1 environment who has get used to utilize flowscript,
>> templates, cforms, xsp etc and think of him/her trying to get
>> accustomed in C3, I think the least one can say is that he/she will be
>> totally in a faint.
>>
>> I don't either get the eagerness for dumbing all the "good old"
>> techiques and frameworks.
>
> Well if you refer to avalon as good old framework, I think dropping
> that is the best thing that happened for c3. To use spring is using
> the de facto industry standard and I bet there are MUCH MORE people
> having used spring then avalon. Other then that xsp, cforms, ... are
> home grown that are only known by nerds and which never have reached
> to be a standard. Like other said in their responses the technology
> ecosystem is changing rapidly and e.g. cform is nightmare to
> understand, pain to extend and never had been really stable. Further
> it brings no benefit over using html5 forms and REST services for the
> ajax calls which is so much straight forward and ... de facto
> industry
> standard for web2 apps.
>
> I migrated a couple of 2.1 generators and  transformer and it is not
> too complicated to migrate. Further the whole concept is still the
> same only details changed (e.g. validity and cache keys)
>
> The limitation of c2.x had been Avalon all this years. In c3 we
> finally can use transformer as simple sax handler outside cocoon.
>
>> Of course the general abandonment will halt the development but if
>> you think something like C2.1 and C2.2, I guess they will be useful
>> for years to go, if you are willing and capable of updating some parts
>> by your own.
>
> Having worked with each version I see your point, but would strongly
> advice people to look into c3 when we release it in a stable version
> (hopefully in the next couple of month).
>
> salu2

Re: Forms and maps

Posted by mi...@digikartta.net.

Re: Forms and maps

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <sc...@gmail.com>.

--
Thorsten Scherler<scherler.at.gmail.com>
codeBusters S.L. - web based systems

http://www.codebusters.es/

RE: Forms and maps

Posted by mi...@digikartta.net.
 That's a good one!

 - mika -

Re: Forms and maps

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 11:30:58AM +0200, Robby Pelssers wrote:
> You should read this article  'Why Good Programmers Are Lazy and Dumb'  http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2005-08-24-n14.html
>
> I think it's not so much about losing our jobs but about
> - trying to become more productive (getting more done in the same amount of time)
> - avoiding repetitive work

I'm not sure which way the above is pointed, but anyway:  which is
more productive:

o  rewriting the same app. every six months until the end of time to
   keep up with the fashion of the moment; or

o  spending a few moments every now and then to maintain that app., and
   the bulk of your time writing new app.s to address new needs?

Which is more repetitive?

The iPhone thing explains why I almost always carry an "outdated"
phone.  It still does everything I want it to do.  I'll trade it when
it doesn't do that anymore.  I'd rather spend my money and time on an
unrelated, unmet need.

But maybe these arguments are pointless.  Some projects need the
Latest Thing and other projects need stability and maintenance.  If C3
is too big a break, gather others who feel the same way and fork C2
and share the maintenance and development.

Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.

RE: Forms and maps

Re: Forms and maps

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 11:54:40AM +0200, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On 04/18/2012 11:24 AM, mika@digikartta.net wrote:
[snip]
> > Half of us would be out of jobs?
>
> jeje actually that is point of view. I know of colleagues that maintain
> some buggy developments and earn a good living. The prob in general in
> cocoon where that if you do it right the first time you have no
> maintenance. So e.g. upgrading and rewriting some apps brings us work.

Ha!  I am now recalling an old cartoon.  There's a diesel locomotive
pulling a flatcar.  On the flatcar is a man shovelling coal onto a
conveyor that carries the coal back to the pile from which he is
shovelling.  He has a job, but....

Doing a revision is like chewing used gum. -- Asimov

Re: Forms and maps

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 04/18/2012 11:24 AM, mika@digikartta.net wrote:

> Absolutely. But trying to stay on the edge of the trends won't fit for
> us all.
> And continous rewriting of apps doesn't make any sense. Why on earth
> we can't create something that would last at least a decade?

jeje, I actually know about some of my old c2.0.x apps that are still in
production and have not failed once in over 10 years.

RE: Forms and maps

Posted by gelo1234 <ge...@gmail.com>.

RE: Forms and maps

Posted by Robby Pelssers <Ro...@nxp.com>.
Just my 2 cents on this topic...

Cocoon forms was at the time in my eyes a pretty awesome solution to build highly dynamic forms with support for continuations. But as we all know this puts considerable strain on the server side.  Gradually we started seeing a tendency towards AJAX (XmlHttpRequests) which is a fancy word for:

Recently there were some rants against XSLT (http://www.snoyman.com/blog/2012/04/xslt-rant.html ).  Just try transforming XML from your most favorite programming language and you might be in for a surprise.  Surely XSLT takes a lot of typing but also XSLT is evolving just as XQuery is.

 wrote:
> On 04/13/2012 07:18 PM, Mika M Lehtonen wrote:
>> Interesting,
>> I am also integrating maps into sites produced with Cocoon 2.1x. I
>> have no answer to you but maybe we could collaborate on this issue?
>> OpenLayers widget would be something!
>
> Just some considerations.
> I like very much cocoon, its philosophy, and the way to produce
> application with it and especially with forms. But we must remain
> realistic: in the last years the pace of the develop of cocoon is
> slow
> and the next release will be something different. For example, the
> integration with Wicket seems to be the sign that forms will not be
> more
> developed.
> Due to the fact that I don't know how to develop a new widget for
> cocoon, I was waiting for some clue or suggest to evaluate the effort
> needed.
> Unfortunately I have not received any answer so I'm considering to
> invest my time in another framework (Wicket) that can solve this kind
> problem and has a future more outlined.
>
> Ciao
>
> Alberto
>

>> cheers,
>> mika
>>

>> 13.4.2012 20:03, Alberto kirjoitti:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm using cocoon 2.1.12-dev and I'm facing how to include a map in
>>> cocoon forms.
>>> I have to do simple things from flowscript: load a kml url and
>>> receive
>>> the coordinates of an area selection.
>>> I'm considering to use OpenLayers or Google Maps. Looking sources I
>>> found already existing widget classes for GoogleMaps
>>> (org.apache.cocoon.forms.formmodel.GoogleMap) but it is
>>> undocumented and
>>> using it I have the following error: "Non-existing component for
>>> this
>>> hint (Key='googlemap')". Moreover it seems it lacks methods to load
>>> kml file.
>>>
>>> So, which is the best way to do it? The googlemap widget is
>>> working?
>>> I have to write a new widget following the document
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonFormsCreatingWidgets?
>>>
>>> Any suggest is welcome
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>>
>>> Alberto

Re: Forms and maps

Posted by mi...@digikartta.net.

Re: Forms and maps

Posted by gelo1234 <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

I would like to share my opinion on C3. I think that dropping support for
the most of native Cocoon components is a good step forward. As you see
trends now in enterprise applications, everybody from RedHat to Oracle
limits the amount of code from bare application server core engine making
it smaller, lighter and faster. As to additional components or modules they
are only supported if compliant with standards and mostly through separate
bundles/libraries or connectors.
There is 1 standard in Java world concerning Enterprise Java Apps - its
Java EE.
And C3 adheres to that standard through the strong RESTful Web Services
support. And I think the goal is to provide very light and fast web
services engine besides being robust integration platform. And in order to
stay competitive it must adhere to standards. Nobody will be interested in
developing non-standard components that are just equivalents of other
standard-compliant frameworks/bundles. Instead of writing its own versions
of additional components Cocoon should provide support for any necessary
standard on the market through the use of connectors/API to
components/technologies that are already used in other frameworks. That
reusability guarantees further development of the whole platform.
If you design your application by decoupling functionality among separate
services which is the concept of SOA, its very important to have very
loosely coupled components that can support any technology available on the
market. Its a nonsense and very error-prone trying to provide native
modules for any relevant technology.
And if some technology works better than other one, why not just use it?
It relates to Cocoon Forms and Wicket or JSF.
Any competitive platform now should be opened to any available technology
and should provide support for such one, while concentrating on its core
job - in case of Cocoon I presume it to be extensive XML processing and
RESTful Web Services.

According to my experience with Cocoon its a very robust platform in terms
of XML processing and data integration. And while we still use very old
release in production - 2.0.5, it still meets our goals by providing
functionality similar to today's ESB and a mix of WS-* (SOAP) and RESTful
Web Services. In case of web front-ends, we don't use any non-standard
compliant modules like Forms. Instead we use a bunch of open reliable
external libraries like JSTL, Velocity, Dojo, jQuery or jQuery Mobile to
build very satisfactory user-experience. We also make extensive use of
Google Maps through Google Maps API from Javascript/jQuery. We don't need
and don't want to use any non-standard Google Maps component from Cocoon.
Its all about the design of your app.

Greetings,
Greg

Re: Forms and maps

Posted by Alberto <ab...@ogs.trieste.it>.

Re: Forms and maps

Posted by Mika M Lehtonen <mi...@digikartta.net>.
Interesting,
I am also integrating maps into sites produced with Cocoon 2.1x. I have