Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Elena Litani <el...@ca.ibm.com> on 2002/03/22 16:02:34 UTC

DOM: Document Editing [was:Re: AW: DOM L2/L3 default attributes: need feedback]

"Hellmann Peter (ext) ICM RDC IS VDR RD" wrote:

> is it possible to add "dynamic validation" which means the validation
> against a schema or dtd
> doesn't occur just when unmarshalling a xml document but also when
> manipulating the dom tree?
> Example: I want to add an element node named 'charly' but i'll get a
> "Element type 'charly'
> must be declared" error msg because charly is not defined in the dtd.

The API for validation "on the fly" are defined in DOM Level 3 Abstract
Schemas [1].
See "1.4. Document-Editing Interfaces" section. Note we don't support
this functionality in Xerces.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-DOM-Level-3-ASLS-20020114/abstract-schemas.html

Elena Litani / IBM Toronto