Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Walter Vaughan <wv...@steelerubber.com> on 2007/04/04 03:12:22 UTC

ShipmentScaleApplet.java

I've spent a few hours today looking at integrating a scale into ofBiz. So I
google up some Java that *should* be in something to read a scale, and what to
my wondering eyes did appear, but the top link pointed back to
ShipmentScaleApplet.java :)
I've looked a the code and it looks exactly like I want it to do. Actually
better than I hoped. :)

It looks like Andy Z wrote it originally. I don't remember seeing it documented
anywhere. Anyone with stronger brain cells know where to look for how it is used
and perhaps called?

I know it lives in
applications/product/webapp/facility/shipment/QuickShipOrder.ftl. Is there any
other documentation?

Thanks

--
Walter

Re: ShipmentScaleApplet.java

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
any java applet or application for that matter has to overcome how to
communicate with ofbiz and no open a security whole.
unlike the pages that are generated by.
Applets are usually static, meaning there is no interaction back to ofbiz.
in this case it communicates with the scale and displays it on the applet.
I have a application equivalent that:
1)receives the item ID from ofbiz then
2)post the data back to ofbiz.

Walter Vaughan sent the following on 4/3/2007 5:12 PM:

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
This could have an interest for the POS too.
But there are a lot of reglementations around this stuff (at least in
France) :(
Anyway good to know that there is already something !

Jacques

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Walter:

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Good question Walter... and I'm not sure if it is in use by anyone
today. It was originally created for a custom set of packing screens,
but that project was derailed a bit not long after that and was never
finished. I guess in a way this is an unfinished feature looking for
some love.

-David

Posted by Walter Vaughan <wv...@steelerubber.com>.

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Not sure if I understand the question here... are you asking:

1. will someone help me find documentation about this on
docs.ofbiz.org or in the code itself or somewhere else on the internet?

2. is there some hidden documentation somewhere that someone is
holding back that they would be willing to share?

3. will someone please write up how this works?

In general everything goes back into the open source project,
including any documentation on something added, so I'm not sure if
any hidden documentation that exists might emerge from somewhere, so
chances are #3 is the best question to ask.

BTW, I'm answering here in terms of the general approach to this
question as much as the actual topic of the question, nothing
personal or anything Walter. I just want to make it clear that there
is no magic or hidden documentation on OFBiz or something that will
magically solve people's problems as so often seems to be implied in
questions. Unless of course someone has a big library of this stuff
living somewhere that I'm not aware of...

-David