Posted to community@apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2004/01/21 17:39:53 UTC

automatic nagging for board reports?

(replies to community@ please)

I believe many ASF projects are chronically late in sending in status
reports in time for the board meeting. That's bad and they should be
nagged about it. Since manual nagging is a chore, how about a small
script in a crontab somewhere that automates sending out a timely reminder?

I'll volunteer to set it up if such a thing is desireable. I just need
the report schedule and some time.

Or maybe we could (mis)use Jira?

comments? Good idea?

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Re: automatic nagging for board reports?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 05 Feb 2004, at 04:25, Greg Stein wrote:

> (and yah, I see that Leo has given up for now, but figured I'd add my
>  thoughts on this; and yah, it bugs me to no end to have to nag)

Well, nagging can be as simple as checking in the draft board agenda -
yesterday's CVS check-in at the very least triggered me to starting
hunting for report items. :)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: automatic nagging for board reports?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 06:51:26PM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Wednesday, January 21, 2004 5:39 PM +0100 Leo Simons
> <le...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > I believe many ASF projects are chronically late in sending in status
> > reports in time for the board meeting. That's bad and they should be
> > nagged about it. Since manual nagging is a chore, how about a small
> > script in a crontab somewhere that automates sending out a timely
> > reminder?
>
> As a PMC chair, I'd be against receiving notifications to submit something
> that I already know to do.  -- justin

Lately, I've been sending the nag to board@ since all the Chairs need to
be subscribed to that anyways. If an auto-nag sends that email, then I'm
quite fine with that.

IOW, maybe avoid the direct email to PMC Chairs and just send the board@
email.

(and yah, I see that Leo has given up for now, but figured I'd add my
 thoughts on this; and yah, it bugs me to no end to have to nag)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: automatic nagging for board reports?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@perl.org>.
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Leo Simons wrote:

> I believe many ASF projects are chronically late in sending in status
> reports in time for the board meeting. That's bad and they should be
> nagged about it. Since manual nagging is a chore, how about a small
> script in a crontab somewhere that automates sending out a timely reminder?

The schedule is in committers/board/committee-info.txt.

The mod_perl one is due February, May, August and November so I put
this in the crontab of one of my boxes:

0 0 1 2,5,8,11 * echo "remember remember ...." | mail -s "mod_perl PMC report due this month" ask@develooper.com

which reminds me to remind the PMC to make a report. :)

 - ask

--
http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/ - http://develooper.com/

Re: automatic nagging for board reports?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> (replies to community@ please)
>
> I believe many ASF projects are chronically late in sending in status
> reports in time for the board meeting. That's bad and they should be
> nagged about it. Since manual nagging is a chore, how about a small
> script in a crontab somewhere that automates sending out a timely reminder?

+1

> I'll volunteer to set it up if such a thing is desireable. I just need
> the report schedule and some time.

The schedule is in committers/board/comitee-info.txt
For time, you'll have to ask yourself ;-)

I also have a script that nags about patched submitted in bugzilla, and
    have other nags that I'd like to have done, like for example
reminding me to update the status file after 72 hours a PMC member is
added etc etc, and some chore automation.

I'll add what I have in the committers CVS module, we can start (and
even change it all) from there.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: automatic nagging for board reports?

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> comments? Good idea?

FWIW, I decided there was not enough interest to make me want to do the
work :D

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
El miércoles, 21 ener, 2004, a las 17:39 Europe/Madrid, Leo Simons
escribió:

> (replies to community@ please)
>
> I believe many ASF projects are chronically late in sending in status
> reports in time for the board meeting. That's bad and they should be
> nagged about it. Since manual nagging is a chore, how about a small
> script in a crontab somewhere that automates sending out a timely
> reminder?
>
> I'll volunteer to set it up if such a thing is desireable. I just need
> the report schedule and some time.

iCalendar event? .ics in mail are imported automatically to iCal (for
Mac OS X), and any ASF Officer should be able to get it into
korganizer, evolution, Outlook, or whatever calendaring app they are
using.

it is a VTODO what we want here, and I'm not that sure about importing
todos.