Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Jones, Stephen" <sj...@rational.com> on 2001/09/29 00:37:00 UTC

TC3.3 and Using XML in a webapp

Hi-- I'm upgrading a webapp from TC 3.2.1 to TC3.3. We used to depend on
jaxp.jar and parser.jar that were loaded and accessible from
tomcat-3.2.1\lib. My app does use small portions of the com.sun.xml.*
libraries due to JAXP1.0 being so annoying.

TC 3.3 has updated to using Crimson instead of Sun's reference
implementation (parser.jar) and JAXP1.1 instead of JAXP1.0...

So, what is the recommended way for me to upgrade my app? I am considering
these 2 options:
	1. Copy the old jars I depended on into the WEB-INF/lib directory
inside my webapp, and not porting to the new parser.
	2. -Moving- crimson.jar and jaxp.jar from tomcat-3.3/lib/container
into tomcat-3.3/lib/common and porting to JAXP1.1 and removing our
parser-dependent code.

I have 2 concerns about option 2--
	a) Is it sane to move the XML libraries into common and use them
from webapps?
	b) Is it a ton of work to port from JAXP1.0/Sun to JAXP1.1/Crimson?
I'd hate to get too bogged down-- I'm no XML guru (yet:).

Thanks for any/all help,
Steve