Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Zoko, Anthony" <AZ...@cti.depaul.edu> on 2002/02/20 02:31:56 UTC

Tomcat in an academic development enviroment

I'm trying to setup a development server for one of our programs that will allow students to do JSP/Servlet development.  I have run an IIS server that supported about 1000 students (no more than 150 running apps at a time.. about 50 at a time is average) without many headaches... a crash a month at most.

Part of the success of running the IIS server has been to isolate students into their own process space (HIGH ISOLATED application in IIS) and creating tools to monitor their applications.  I don't see a way of doing this using Tomcat.

1) How do I isolate student applications into there own process space to prevent them from crashing Tomcat (these students don't have much development experience)?
2) I was tinkering with the ISAPI filter for Tomcat and read an article that it was possible to load Tomcat in the same process space as IIS (http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.2-doc/in-process-howto.html).  Can this technique be extended to load an instance of Tomcat for every student using IIS process isolation (I realize this means loading a Java VM for each student process.)?

With the current setup, IIS rarely crashes and runs extremely well... I would like to have that same stability if we switch the program over to JSP/Servlets running Tomcat.  Anybody out there trying to run a similar program?

Any comments or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony Zoko
Network Engineer
DePaul University - CTI
http://www.cs.depaul.edu/

Re: Tomcat in an academic development enviroment

Posted by Frank <fa...@netscape.net>.
You might think about using pws or some other mini server along with
tomcat on each students machine.  This might not be practical, I don't
know, but it would work as a development environment, then you could
hook them up to IIS for the final test.  Just a thought.