Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Yanfei Lei <fr...@gmail.com> on 2022/12/12 14:02:03 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release new FRocksDB

Hi devs,

I'd like to bring up a discussion about releasing the new frocksdbjni
version,  we are planning to adapt frocksdbjni to Apple M1 machines in
Flink 1.17[1], a new frocksdbjni jar needs to be released.

Thanks to the efforts of the community, FLINK-24932[1] has been merged into
FRocksDB-6.20.3 branch, and many thanks to *Ververica* for providing a paid
CircleCI for testing, which ensures the correctness of the code.

The new frocksdbjni version is still based on 6.20.3[2], the code
interfaces and performance[3] will not change. In addition to
FLINK-24932[1],  some fixes of vulnerabilities[4] will also be included in
the new version, see FLINK-30321[5].

Are there any minor fixes you would like to include in this release?
Welcome to create PR for FrocksDB[6].
Looking forward to your opinions.

[2]
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.ververica/frocksdbjni/6.20.3-ververica-1.0
[3]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-24932?focusedCommentId=17569889&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-17569889
[4] https://lists.apache.org/thread/rm40f45qfw6rls70k35o2dt0k4tz9bsr
[6] https://github.com/ververica/frocksdb

--
Best,
Yanfei

Re: [DISCUSS] Release new FRocksDB

Posted by Yanfei Lei <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Thanks for everyone's advice, FRocksDB 6.20.3-ververica-2.0[1] had
been released, compared with FRocksDB 6.20.3-ververica-1.0, there are
the following 4 points of improvement:
1. [FLINK-30457] Add periodic_compaction_seconds option to RocksJava[2]
2. [FLINK-30321] Upgrade ZLIB of FRocksDB to 1.2.13[3]
3. PR 55: Avoid expensive ToString call when not in Debug[4]
4. [FLINK-24932] Support build FRocksDB Java on Apple silicon[5]

Compiled files for Linux x86, Linux arm, Linux ppc64le, MacOS x86,
MaxOS arm, and windows are included in FRocksDB 6.20.3-ververica-2.0
jar, many thanks to @Yun Tang for the work done to support the Linux
ppc64le platform. And the FrocksDB in Flink 1.17 would be updated to
6.20.3-ververica-2.0, thanks again for everyone's suggestions and
efforts.

[1] https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.ververica/frocksdbjni/6.20.3-ververica-2.0
[4] https://github.com/ververica/frocksdb/pull/55

Best,