Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Eric Gorr <ma...@ericgorr.net> on 2007/08/30 16:29:46 UTC

[users@httpd] logging incomming traffic

In my access_log, I see lines such as:

192.168.1.222 - - [29/Aug/2007:16:16:58 -0400] "POST /~Eric/
mytestpage.php HTTP/1.1" 200 722

where the last number (722) tells me the number of bytes sent from
the Apache server to the client.

I was wondering if it was possible to configure apache to record how
many bytes were sent to it from the client as well.

I just need this information temporarily logged for my test machine
on my desk.

I suppose I could use something like wireshark to obtain this
information, but my current preference is to just configure apache to
log the information, if that is possible.

thank you.

[users@httpd] Re: Apache under MacOSX 10.4.10 (was Re: [users@httpd] logging incomming traffic)

Posted by Neville Hillyer <n....@open.ac.uk>.
At 12:36 -0400 30/08/2007, Eric Gorr wrote:
>On Aug 30, 2007, at 10:55 AM, Joshua Slive wrote:
>
>>On 8/30/07, Eric Gorr <ma...@ericgorr.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am using Apache 1.3.33 which is
>>>the default server under MacOSX.
>>
>>Then go ahead and pull out your network sniffer, since this obsolete
>>version doesn't have that feature.
>
>What is the easiest way to switch to Apache 2.2.4 under MacOSX 10.4.10?

I am waiting to see if OS X server 10.5 has Apache 2.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache under MacOSX 10.4.10

Posted by Brian Munroe <br...@gmail.com>.
On 8/30/07, Eric Gorr <ma...@ericgorr.net> wrote:

> I am also assuming that if I install Apache2, I would no longer be
> able to use the Sharing panel to turn the server on/off and would
> need to do so from the command line.
>
> I can't imagine this is terribly difficult...I just don't know the
> answer.

Tiger uses launchd to manage services.  I wonder if you could tweak
the OS X apache launchd configuration so that you could continue to
use the sharing panel?

Otherwise it isn't too hard to add new items to launchd.

This is a recipe for configuring continuum, but you could easily adapt
it for Apache-2.2
http://maven.apache.org/continuum/guides/mini/guide-osx-boot.html

Also, there is a GUI for launchd:
http://lingon.sourceforge.net/

-- brian

Re: [users@httpd] Apache under MacOSX 10.4.10

Posted by paredes <pa...@aecom.yu.edu>.
Apache2.2.4 builds without a problem on OS-X.  To use the control panel
we use the following:

Edit /usr/local/apache2/httpd.conf to change default location of  the
PID file from:

PidFile /usr/local/apache2/logs/httpd.pid
to:
PidFile /private/var/run/httpd.pid

Link /usr/sbin/apachectl to /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl:

cd /usr/sbin
sudo mv apachectl apachectl.orig
sudo ln -s /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl apachectl

Bill Paredes
Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Posted by Dragon <dr...@crimson-dragon.com>.

Posted by Eric Gorr <ma...@ericgorr.net>.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache under MacOSX 10.4.10 (was Re: [users@httpd] logging incomming traffic)

Posted by Dragon <dr...@crimson-dragon.com>.

Posted by Eric Gorr <ma...@ericgorr.net>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 8/30/07, Eric Gorr <ma...@ericgorr.net> wrote:

> Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am using Apache 1.3.33 which is
> the default server under MacOSX.

Then go ahead and pull out your network sniffer, since this obsolete
version doesn't have that feature.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] logging incomming traffic

Posted by Eric Gorr <ma...@ericgorr.net>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.
On 30/08/2007, Eric Gorr <ma...@ericgorr.net> wrote:
> I was wondering if it was possible to configure apache to record how
> many bytes were sent to it from the client as well.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_logio.html

Cheers,
--
noodl