Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com> on 2006/12/02 00:51:03 UTC

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

David,

I think what should happen is this:

When any fixed asset is created, if we know the ownerPartyId, then we
can create:

Debit  Fixed Asset (or a specific FixedAsset GL account)
   Credit  Uninvoiced Fixed Asset Receipt

Then, when you have a purchase invoice with a fixed asset item
created, you can do this:

Debit  Uninvoiced Fixed Asset Receipt
    Credit  a Payable of some kind--Accounts Payable?  I'm not sure -
often fixed assets are bought with loans.

Then we'd have to think about doing the depreciation calculations,
that's what I think could be complicated.

Best Regards,

Si
sichen@opensourcestrategies.com

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
How is what I'm saying incorrect? An invoice is
evidence of an economic event, it is not itself an
economic event.

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
Si, others,
If I cannot convince you that an "Uninvoiced Fixed
Asset Receipt" (UFAR) account is flat wrong, perhaps I
can at least sway your opinion that the approach is
not desirable; or that it causes more problems than it
solves.

First, I'm going by the assumption that UFAR is a
sub-account to Accounts Payable (AP).  If my
assumption is incorrect, you are understating your
liabilities.

1)  So, if UFAR is a sub-account of AP, then the
journal entry:
Dr: UFAR - $1,000,000
Cr: AP   - $1,000,000
is redundant.

This redundancy causes a problem in the event of an
audit (internal or external).  The transaction that
debits UFAR has evidence by way of invoice.  However,
the transaction that credited UFAR has no evidence to
support the transaction occurring (as this usage is
unorthodox to say the least, the invoice may actually
instead be evidence of the transaction that credited
UFAR, or may not be sufficient as evidence of either
transaction.  But certainly, the invoice is cannot be
evidence for both).  This lack of evidence provides
ample opportunity for someone to defraud a company.

2)  Being two seperate transactions that deal with
monetary numbers, how do you reconcile the following
scenario?

Purchase a fixed asset for what you believed to be
$1,000,000
Dr: Fixed Assets - $1,000,000
Cr: UFAR - $1,000,000

Invoice shows up with the cost of the asset being
$950,000.
Dr: UFAR - $950,000
Cr: AP   - $950,000

UFAR has a remaining balance of $50,000

The correct journal entry for a misunderstanding of
price is:
Dr: AP          - $50,000
Cr: Fixed Asset - $50,000

The sanest possible journal entry in a UFAR world
would instead be:
Dr: UFAR        - $1,000,000
Cr: Fixed Asset - $   50,000
Cr: AP          - $  950,000

If all you're ever going to do is debit UFAR the same
amount that you previously credited it, there is no
point in maintaining it; it provides no additional
information to decision makers above and beyond
providing a status Id to the projected invoice.
Which, can be accomplished much easier by simply
providing a status id to the projected invoice.

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

Posted by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com>.
Chris,

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
[...]

** Disclaimer: I am not an accountant and should not
be construed as specific accounting advice.  Even
though I do hold an MBA, please do your own diligence.

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
I'm no accountant, but it sounds fine to me as an intermediate step
to make processes more flexible.

-David

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

Posted by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com>.
David,

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
The economic event is the transfer of ownership of
goods for obligation (accounts payable) or cash.

When they accepted ownership of the goods, they
accepted the asset.  Additionally, when they accepted
the ownership of the goods, they accepted the
liability.

For simplicity, many small businesses hold off on
recording  this economic event until receiving an
invoice.  However, receipt of the invoice is not the
economic event.  This practice is grossly incorrect
and may (will) cause major discrepancies in periodic
financial reports. A piece of paper summarizing the
transfer of ownership has no financial worth and
therefore cannot be an economic event.

There are two things (WHAT and WHEN[a])that are
important for a general ledger entry. And two
additional things (WHO and WHEN[b]) that are important
for auditing

WHAT - the economic event
WHEN[a] - date the economic event took place
WHO - who recorded the economic event
WHEN[b] - date the economic event was recorded

The distinction I am making is between WHAT the
economic event is and WHEN[b] someone chooses to
record it. WHEN[b] is not a part of the economic
event.  These small differences are some of the
reasons why Accountants still get paid the big bucks
even in companies that have complete ERP packages.

The receipt of the order is not the economic event
either.  The economic event depends on the terms of
shipping FOB shipping/FOB destination.  The economic
event is the transfer of ownership, not the receipt of
goods.  It is possible to contract in such a way to
make these simultaneously the same moment in time,
however generally they are not.

--- David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.