Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2002/04/15 05:59:00 UTC

2.0.35 doesn't set Last-Modified header

2.0.35 or whatever version is running on apache.org at this moment
doesn't set the Last-Modified header for static pages requests.

% HEAD http://httpd.apache.org/index.html
200 OK
Connection: close
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 03:57:38 GMT
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Server: Apache/2.0.35 (Unix)
Client-Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 03:57:49 GMT
Client-Response-Num: 1

Re: 2.0.35 doesn't set Last-Modified header

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Which makes all ASF projects sites running of daedalus cache
>>non-friendly. Is this good?
>

> No.  Only httpd.apache.org actually uses includes as far as I know.  Other
> sites don't need it, and it should be disabled.  (Of course, I have not
> really checked to see that nothing else will break.)

OK, in any case, can we opt out the perl.apache.org from automatically
using mod_include
if it's not possible to change mod_include's logic to set the
Last-Modified header?

Re: 2.0.35 doesn't set Last-Modified header

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Which makes all ASF projects sites running of daedalus cache
> non-friendly. Is this good?

No.  Only httpd.apache.org actually uses includes as far as I know.  Other
sites don't need it, and it should be disabled.  (Of course, I have not
really checked to see that nothing else will break.)

Joshua.

Re: 2.0.35 doesn't set Last-Modified header

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 11:59:00AM +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>2.0.35 or whatever version is running on apache.org at this moment
>>doesn't set the Last-Modified header for static pages requests.
>

> Daedalus won't because everything is run through mod_include.
>
> It's httpd.conf says:
>
> <Files ~ "\.html">
>     SetOutputFilter INCLUDES
> </Files>
>
> If a page goes through mod_include, we have no idea what the
> Last-Modified is, so we remove it.

Which makes all ASF projects sites running of daedalus cache
non-friendly. Is this good?

Someone has suggested that mod_include could set the Last-Modified
header based on the included component which was modified most recently.

Re: How to run child processes under different user on Microsoft Plattforms

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 05:47 AM 4/15/2002, Thomas.mathes@tmnd.de wrote:

>Is it possible to set up Virtual Hosts, so that each Host-Process runs under
>a different User(as Service) on Win NT.

Of course.  See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/win_service.html
Remember you need a seperate httpd.conf file, defining a new PidFile
and different log files for each server.

But please don't post such questions on the developer's forum... it's
inconsiderate.  Please post to the user list or newsgroup in the future.
See http://httpd.apache.org/lists.html#http-users

>And by the way, does also the CGI's and other Modules run under this User.

Only if you configure each Service's "Log on as user" property to a specific
user account.

Bill

Re: mod_autoindex vs. auth'd directories

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 12:57 AM 4/15/2002, you wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 12:55:17AM -0400, Tom Howell-Cintron wrote:
> > I'm posting this to the list as I'm not sure whether it's a bug or a
> > feature, and I am quite certain that the powers that be would rather I not
> > clutter up Bugzilla.  If it is a bug I'll report it properly.. if not, my
> > apologies. =)
>
>As you guessed, it's a conscious decision.
>
>I don't agree, but there are way more committers who like this
>feature.  I hate it.
>
>IMHO, security by obscurity doesn't help.  -- justin

Then keep this default, and consider returning entries with more status
result codes by an optional directive.

Heck, you could even add a 'lock' icon to indicate auth required :-)

Oftentimes the listing of secured resources alone reveals more information
than you should share.  For that matter, Alias'ed resources never showed
up within autoindex lists.  So it's never been 'Complete' in the first place.

Bill

How to run child processes under different user on Microsoft Plattforms

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tom Howell-Cintron <th...@frognet.net>.
I use mod_autoindex and have noticed that in httpd-2.0 (either 2.0.35 or
the current CVS sources) directories that "require" authentication won't
appear in the auto-generated index until _after_ I've authenticated.  At
first I thought this was a (nifty, but useless to me) feature, but I've
found no reference to this behavior in any of the documentation.  I tried
other authentication modules, various options, et cetera, all having the
same result: unless the client has authenticated, mod_autoindex doesn't
show the directory.

I'm posting this to the list as I'm not sure whether it's a bug or a
feature, and I am quite certain that the powers that be would rather I not
clutter up Bugzilla.  If it is a bug I'll report it properly.. if not, my
apologies. =)

Regards,
Tom Howell-Cintron
thc@frognet.net

Re: 2.0.35 doesn't set Last-Modified header

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 11:59:00AM +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
> 2.0.35 or whatever version is running on apache.org at this moment
> doesn't set the Last-Modified header for static pages requests.

Daedalus won't because everything is run through mod_include.

It's httpd.conf says:

<Files ~ "\.html">
    SetOutputFilter INCLUDES
</Files>

If a page goes through mod_include, we have no idea what the
Last-Modified is, so we remove it.

Stock versions of httpd-2.0 appear fine.  -- justin