Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Erik Parker <ep...@noella.mindsec.com> on 2002/09/25 01:57:36 UTC

Default character sets..

Does AddDefaultCharset work in Apache 2.0.x?

I'm testing in 2.0.40, and added AddDefaultCharset us-ascii

And still when you HEAD /index.html HTTP/1.0
you get back ISO-8859-1

On to another issue..

In Apache 1.3.X, if you use AddDefaultCharset, it does work.. but not for
errors.. so if you:  SMURF /index.html HTTP/1.0   it always has the charset
of iso-8859-1... Would like to be able to have this follow suit with the
Defaultcharset

In Apache 2.0.. a cosmetic issue only, it uses all CAPS for ISO-8859-1 when
returning a 200 OK, and lower case when returning an error 501

Any insight would be great,

thanks.

---
Erik Parker
---

Re: Default character sets..

Posted by Erik Parker <ep...@mindsec.com>.
> I believe this was recently covered on this list.  AddDefaultCharset
> doesn't apply to the "internal" error responses because those responses
> are written in a specific character-set (ISO-8859-1).  The character set
> is known, so it doesn't make sense to use any other.

This should cover response to Bill Stoddard's post as well.

I suppose I could use a custom error page and set the tags in there, however i
simply use:
ErrorDocument "404

I guess I'll have to switch to using files that have "4/5xx" in them with the
charset defined..  which is fine. Was just thinking since the AddDefaultchar
documentation says it overrides any META tags, i just figured it meant it
would override anything.

I can't really go over the reasons for wanting to change it, as its an
internal thing here.. I just do as I'm told :P

Thanks for the repsonses.

Re: Default character sets..

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Erik Parker wrote:
> I hate to reply to my own post, but because of my apparent crack habits.. I
> didn't realize the testing environment configs weren't nearly exact..
>
> The http 2.0 server still had a AddDefaultChar set lower in the config file.
>

> So.. the only issue/question is..
>
> When setting AddDefcultCharset, why doesn't it apply to error responses?

I believe this was recently covered on this list.  AddDefaultCharset
doesn't apply to the "internal" error responses because those responses
are written in a specific character-set (ISO-8859-1).  The character set
is known, so it doesn't make sense to use any other.

Joshua.

RE: Default character sets..

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.
> I hate to reply to my own post, but because of my apparent crack
> habits.. I
> didn't realize the testing environment configs weren't nearly exact..
>
> The http 2.0 server still had a AddDefaultChar set lower in the
> config file.
>

> So.. the only issue/question is..
>
> When setting AddDefcultCharset, why doesn't it apply to error responses?

Because the error messages are charset text/html in iso8859-1?

Are you by chance looking at a problem with redirecting old Netscape
browsers to sites in a different languages?

Bill

Re: Default character sets..