Posted to ojb-dev@db.apache.org by Alexander Bibighaus <al...@scrashmeow.org> on 2003/06/06 05:19:24 UTC

a UI...something to think about

Hi Ojb Developers,

I have a prototype of a User Interface for OJB.  Now, I would like to get some feedback from the developers to see if its worth pursuing further.
I'm starting out with a small audience so I hope the dev list is not inappropriate.

I guess my goal would be to put together an Administrative Console that I could donate to OJB and ideally evolve it into some type of sub project of OJB ( if
that is deemed appropriate )

Right now, I feel that I carefully put together a prototype that conveys enough to discuss.  While I hope it shows that I'm serious about it,
given my intentions here I simply shouldn't go much further in the implementation without opening dialog with OJB.

Basically here are my thoughts:

In as few words as possible:

This console is the administrative interface to OJB.   The current prototype provides the following features:

1. A view into the Repository ie the Descriptor and Connection Repositories.

2. Transparent Crud for all object. This implies:
  * Browsing the objects of a given type
  * Selecting objects of a type to Edit
  * Inserting new objects
  * Removing objects of a type
  * Removing all objects  of  a type

3. Login with a different PB Key

Things you need to know if you look deeper

0. I encourage you to take a look at the code. I welcome further discussion.  Just email and ask.  I can provide a  war file to play with and/or the src.  Or I could just generate the javadocs so u can see the basic design.
1. My intention is to keep the UI simple but functional.  I'd rather add more features rather than concentrating on visual flashy things.
2. I  used Struts (nightly build) and ojb Rc3 to implement this.
3. I have only tested it on Tomcat 4 with JDK 1.4 (linux and windows).
4. There is a lot of thought out design and abstraction under the covers....but it is just a prototype :) There are bugs lurking, Other things lack too...  I haven't completed javadocs or written unit tests...
5.  I think there are few html flaws when viewed with Mozilla, but not to far off.

A few things I've already planned for features in the furute

0. Ability to provide additional repository metadata to enhance the UI.  labels, annotations and such.  This could be done through a UI repository.xml  or other means.
1. Ability to actually modify, create/edit repository elements and export the OJB repository.xml
2. Further enhance to Insert/Edit to support reference and collection descriptors.
4. Enhance the collection of widgets for the Insert/Edit form.   (Currently, A widget implement an interface and provides a struts tile definition.
    Also enhance so that struts validations can be specified for specific field descriptors for the Insert/Edit forms
5. Provide a  OQL /ODMG query tool where you could type in your queries and then see your result set much like the simple search I've prototyped
6. Reverse engineer tables like your current swing app does.
7. Provider further statistics about the current state of the system.
8. UI Extension mechanisms to help people building OJB/Struts based apps.

Here is my web site address where you can view the prototype in action.

http://www.scrashmeow.org/ojb

As a sample use case, you may want to

Click on repository.
Browse News Articles
Click on one to insert
Save it and browse again.
You can try out the search too.

Hope this stirs some discussion up at least :)
-alexander bibighaus

Re: a UI...something to think about

Posted by Alexander Bibighaus <al...@scrashmeow.org>.
Hi Thomas,

Great, I'm glad your interested in it.  I hope it can evolve into something
useful.
I made the src available at this link:
http://www.scrashmeow.org/web/downloads.jsp

You can download it, unzip it and then take a look at everything.  If you
questions and/or problems, let me know.
I have been letting my IDE build so that ant file was just thrown together
today.

So let me know what you think....

-alexander

Posted by Thomas Mahler <th...@web.de>.
Hi Alxander,

Alexander Bibighaus wrote:
> Hi Ojb Developers,
>
> I have a prototype of a User Interface for OJB.  Now, I would like to
> get some feedback from the developers to see if its worth pursuing
> further. I'm starting out with a small audience so I hope the dev
> list is not inappropriate.
>
> I guess my goal would be to put together an Administrative Console
> that I could donate to OJB and ideally evolve it into some type of
> sub project of OJB ( if that is deemed appropriate )
>
> Right now, I feel that I carefully put together a prototype that
> conveys enough to discuss.  While I hope it shows that I'm serious
> about it, given my intentions here I simply shouldn't go much further
> in the implementation without opening dialog with OJB.
>
> Basically here are my thoughts:
>
> In as few words as possible:
>
> This console is the administrative interface to OJB.   The current
> prototype provides the following features:
>
> 1. A view into the Repository ie the Descriptor and Connection
> Repositories.
>
> 2. Transparent Crud for all object. This implies: * Browsing the
> objects of a given type * Selecting objects of a type to Edit *
> Inserting new objects * Removing objects of a type * Removing all
> objects  of  a type

I assume all operations are done with OJB PB API?

> 3. Login with a different PB Key
>
> Things you need to know if you look deeper
>
> 0. I encourage you to take a look at the code. I welcome further
> discussion.  Just email and ask.  I can provide a  war file to play
> with and/or the src.

Me! src and war, please!

> Or I could just generate the javadocs so u can
> see the basic design. 1. My intention is to keep the UI simple but
> functional.  I'd rather add more features rather than concentrating
> on visual flashy things. 2. I  used Struts (nightly build) and ojb
> Rc3 to implement this. 3. I have only tested it on Tomcat 4 with JDK
> 1.4 (linux and windows). 4. There is a lot of thought out design and
> abstraction under the covers....but it is just a prototype :) There
> are bugs lurking, Other things lack too...  I haven't completed
> javadocs or written unit tests... 5.  I think there are few html
> flaws when viewed with Mozilla, but not to far off.

I did not see any probs with Mozilla

> A few things I've already planned for features in the furute
>
> 0. Ability to provide additional repository metadata to enhance the
> UI.  labels, annotations and such.  This could be done through a UI
> repository.xml  or other means.

sounds nice.

1. Ability to actually modify,
> create/edit repository elements and export the OJB repository.xml
> 2.
> Further enhance to Insert/Edit to support reference and collection
> descriptors.

I see some overlap here with the planned OJB console...
But maybe it's not a real problem...

4. Enhance the collection of widgets for the Insert/Edit
> form.   (Currently, A widget implement an interface and provides a
> struts tile definition. Also enhance so that struts validations can
> be specified for specific field descriptors for the Insert/Edit forms

OK!

>  5. Provide a  OQL /ODMG query tool where you could type in your
> queries and then see your result set much like the simple search I've
> prototyped

I want to have such a query interpreter for a very long time!
I'd also like to see a tool that can assemble and execute PB queries!

> 6. Reverse engineer tables like your current swing app
> does.

same comment as for 1. and 2.

> 7. Provider further statistics about the current state of the
> system.

nice!

Posted by Leandro Rodrigo Saad Cruz <le...@ibnetwork.com.br>.
Nice. have you ever looked at xingu.sf.net ?

The PersistenceManager component provides and interface , and
implementations for OJB and Hibernate, that would ease the console
building. The Xingu project aims to collect usefull components and
modules for various frameworks.We can start a struts sub-project to host
you code too.

--
Leandro Rodrigo Saad Cruz
IT - Inter Business Tecnologia e Servicos (IB)