Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Greg Steuck <gr...@nest.cx> on 2002/09/11 00:37:18 UTC

ThreadPool vs ThreadPool

Hi Berin,

In one of the recent changes you switched excalibur.event to its own
copy of thread pooling. I am a bit lost now because I would like to
use AbstractThreadManager in my otherwise Phoenix application and I
can't really setThreadPool to the pool provided by Cornerstone
ThreadManager (for it's the original excalibur.thread pool)

What would you recommend me to do? I could have another pool in my app
but that would be ugly.

Thanks
Greg

P.S. I wonder if it is a speech impediment on my side, but I always
end up typing excalibur as excalibu_t_ the first time :-)

RE: ThreadPool vs ThreadPool

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
> From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@apache.org]
>
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 08:37, Greg Steuck wrote:
> >
> > What would you recommend me to do? I could have another
> pool in my app
> > but that would be ugly.
>
> Hmmm ... I think Berin this because he did not want to couple
> against the old
> pooling code that requires Poolable etc.

True.

> It may be a good idea to cleanup all that code and reduce its
> coupling to old
> pool stuff. We can leave compatability layers in there so people can
> gracefully migrate from it or when mpool does not offer
> everything we need
> (like ResourceLimiting pools).

Sounds good.  MPool has two versions of bounded pools.  The
FixedSizePool
fails quickly when there are no more elements for the pool.  The
BlockingFixedSizePool will block for a period of time until a new
resource
has been made available.  Essentially, I have placed the essential
features
of the ResourceLimitingPool into two separate classes--each with their
own purpose.

It does reduce complexity of the individual classes, but I am sure there
are tradeoffs.

> We could also fix up those spelling mistakes ;)

+1

Re: ThreadPool vs ThreadPool

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 08:37, Greg Steuck wrote:
> In one of the recent changes you switched excalibur.event to its own
> copy of thread pooling. I am a bit lost now because I would like to
> use AbstractThreadManager in my otherwise Phoenix application and I
> can't really setThreadPool to the pool provided by Cornerstone
> ThreadManager (for it's the original excalibur.thread pool)
>
> What would you recommend me to do? I could have another pool in my app
> but that would be ugly.

Hmmm ... I think Berin this because he did not want to couple against the old
pooling code that requires Poolable etc.

It may be a good idea to cleanup all that code and reduce its coupling to old
pool stuff. We can leave compatability layers in there so people can
gracefully migrate from it or when mpool does not offer everything we need
(like ResourceLimiting pools).

We could also fix up those spelling mistakes ;)

> P.S. I wonder if it is a speech impediment on my side, but I always
> end up typing excalibur as excalibu_t_ the first time :-)

err .... :)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

RE: ThreadPool vs ThreadPool

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
The version in Event was a temporary thing.  I need help integrating
my new MPool aware ThreadPool into the Thread package.  The thing
I need help with is dependency management.  I would love to have
a version of the ThreadPool that would *not* have a dependency on
the other Pool package, but currently this is not possible.

The biggest thing is integration.