Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com> on 2014/09/02 20:41:46 UTC

Re: Rebuilding a cassandra seed node with the same tokens and same IP address

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 7:09 PM, Donald Smith <
Donald.Smith@audiencescience.com> wrote:

>  But the node is a seed node and cassandra won't bootstrap seed nodes.
> Perhaps removing that node's address from the seeds list on the other nodes
> (and on that node) will be sufficient. That's what Replacing a Dead Seed
> Node
> <http://www.datastax.com/documentation/cassandra/2.0/cassandra/operations/ops_replace_seed_node.html>
> suggests. Perhaps I can remove the ip address from the seeds list on all
> nodes in the cluster, restart all the nodes, and then restart the bad node
> with auto_bootstrap=true.

Just temporarily remove it it from its own seed list and use
replace_address with auto_bootstrap=true. You need replace_address to
bootstrap the node into the range it already owns.

The fact that you don't have to remove it from the other nodes' seed lists
suggests that there is something fundamentally confused about "seed nodes
cannot bootstrap" implementation detail.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-5836?focusedCommentId=13727032&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13727032

=Rob