Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ke...@Callista.com.au on 2011/02/07 05:00:37 UTC

[users@httpd] 64 Bit Apache httpd on Solaris

The Goal
A 64bit httpd executable on Solaris 5.10,  (independent of the "out of the
box Solaris Apache server).

(isainfo ?v
        64-bit sparcv9 applications
                fmaf vis2 vis popc
        32-bit sparc applications
                fmaf vis2 vis popc v8plus div32 mul32 )

Current Postion
A 32bit httpd executable on Solaris 5.10.  -->
        /usr/local/apache2/bin > file httpd
        httpd:          ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1,
dynamically linked, not stripped

Steps Taken
1)      Download  httpd-2.2.17.tar.gz and copy to Solaris server.  (
http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi)
        Nothing I could find at the download site about a 32bit/64bit
download - so I assume this is
        determined at configuration/compilation time and there's just the
one download for both setups.

2)      Follow instructions in httpd-2.2.17\INSTALL document.  Install
into /usr/local/apache2
        Nothing in the instructions matching search strings "64", "32" or
"bit".
        Check http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/install.html  -- same
result
        Run httpd-2.2.17 > ./configure --help  ...  no sign of anything in
the help options about configure 32 or 64 bit.

3)      Search apache.org website - some instruction about Win64 but
nothing useful for Solaris.
        Google   -  used key words/phrases such as  "compiling 64 bit
solaris", "Apache 64 bit Solaris",  "Apache 64bit CFLAGS"
        "CFLAGS syntax"

        I found a few reasonable matches, but at best the sites either
give me a better general understanding
        of this stuff, or they show some compile options that result in
errors, (not much use).

Where to go from here
Obviously this stuff is not my primary area of expertise, but my hunch is
that this "problem" might have a fairly simple solution - perhaps
a compiler option or something, but be stuffed if I can find it. If
someone would be kind enough to help me along a bit with this it would be
greatly appreciated.

Cheers All
Kevin F.

Re: [users@httpd] 64 Bit Apache httpd on Solaris

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 3:47 AM, Hendrik Schmieder
<he...@jedox.com> wrote:
> Kevin.Friswell@Callista.com.au schrieb:
>>
>> From: "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
>> To: users@httpd.apache.org
>> Date: 08/02/2011 11:25 AM
>> Subject: Re: [users@httpd] 64 Bit Apache httpd on Solaris
>>

>> On 2/7/2011 6:19 PM, Kevin.Friswell@Callista.com.au wrote:
>>  > Thanks Eugene, I used some of your ideas for "inspiration".
>>  >
>>  > CFLAGS=”-m64”
>>  > export CFLAGS
>>
>> This will break some ./configure tests, to get it right you really
>> need to set/export CC="gcc -m64" or similar, based on your compiler
>> and its 32/64-bit flags.
>>
>> -------------------------
>> Hi William,
>> I tried CFLAGS="gcc -m64", (gcc is installed in /usr/sfw/bin/), but it
>> broke configure ...
>>
>> /checking for gcc... gcc/
>> /checking for C compiler default output file name.../
>> /configure: error: in
>> `/opt/oracle/stage/tmp/k_working/Apache2.2/httpd-2.2.17/srclib/apr':/
>> /configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables/
>> /See `config.log' for more details./
>> /configure failed for srclib/apr/
>>
>> (nothing further of any use in config.log).
>>
>> It appears to work ok with CFLAGS="-m64".
>>
>> Can you elaborate on what you mean by breaking some ./configure tests?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Kevin
>>

> (put the answer where it belongs)
> This will of course break configure, since you will end up in
> gcc gcc -m64 ...
>
> William said you should set CC, not that you should modify CFLAGS.

Yes.  Modifying CFLAGS may get you pretty far, but when trying to use
apxs/apr-1-config the -m64 won't end up in the right places unless you
use the form "CC=foocc --64bitflag".

Re: [users@httpd] 64 Bit Apache httpd on Solaris

Posted by Hendrik Schmieder <he...@jedox.com>.
Kevin.Friswell@Callista.com.au schrieb:
> From: "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
> To: users@httpd.apache.org
> Date: 08/02/2011 11:25 AM
> Subject: Re: [users@httpd] 64 Bit Apache httpd on Solaris
>

> On 2/7/2011 6:19 PM, Kevin.Friswell@Callista.com.au wrote:
>  > Thanks Eugene, I used some of your ideas for "inspiration".
>  >
>  > CFLAGS=”-m64”
>  > export CFLAGS
>
> This will break some ./configure tests, to get it right you really
> need to set/export CC="gcc -m64" or similar, based on your compiler
> and its 32/64-bit flags.
>
 > -------------------------
 > Hi William,
 > I tried CFLAGS="gcc -m64", (gcc is installed in /usr/sfw/bin/), but it
 > broke configure ...
 >
 > /checking for gcc... gcc/
 > /checking for C compiler default output file name.../
 > /configure: error: in
 > `/opt/oracle/stage/tmp/k_working/Apache2.2/httpd-2.2.17/srclib/apr':/
 > /configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables/
 > /See `config.log' for more details./
 > /configure failed for srclib/apr/
 >
 > (nothing further of any use in config.log).
 >
 > It appears to work ok with CFLAGS="-m64".
 >
 > Can you elaborate on what you mean by breaking some ./configure tests?
 >
 > Cheers
 > Kevin

(put the answer where it belongs)
This will of course break configure, since you will end up in
gcc gcc -m64 ...

William said you should set CC, not that you should modify CFLAGS.

   Hendrik

Re: [users@httpd] 64 Bit Apache httpd on Solaris

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

> I tried CFLAGS="gcc -m64", (gcc is installed in /usr/sfw/bin/), but
> it broke configure ...
>
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for C compiler default output file name...
> configure: error: in
> `/opt/oracle/stage/tmp/k_working/Apache2.2/httpd-2.2.17/srclib/apr':

Well *that* does look broken.

Like Eugen I use Sun cc to compile my stack:

https://scm.brainsware.org/svn/webstack/solaris/

I too use CFLAGS="... -m64 .." and I've never seen any issues.

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Re: [users@httpd] 64 Bit Apache httpd on Solaris

Posted by Ke...@Callista.com.au.

From:   "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
To:     users@httpd.apache.org
Date:   08/02/2011 11:25 AM
Subject:        Re: [users@httpd] 64 Bit Apache httpd on Solaris

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 2/7/2011 6:19 PM, Kevin.Friswell@Callista.com.au wrote:
> Thanks Eugene, I used some of your ideas for "inspiration".
>
>         CFLAGS=”-m64”
>         export CFLAGS

This will break some ./configure tests, to get it right you really
need to set/export CC="gcc -m64" or similar, based on your compiler
and its 32/64-bit flags.

Re: [users@httpd] 64 Bit Apache httpd on Solaris

Posted by Ke...@Callista.com.au.
Thanks Eugene, I used some of your ideas for "inspiration".

My final solution was
        LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/64:/usr/sfw/lib/64
        export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
        CFLAGS=?-m64?
        export CFLAGS
        LDFLAGS=?-m64?
        export LDFLAGS

        ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache2
        make
        make install

        file httpd
        httpd:          ELF 64-bit MSB executable SPARCV9 Version 1,
dynamically linked, not stripped, no debugging information available

I don't know which, if any, of the above settings are
necessary/unnecessary. I'm a bit curious but don't really have the budget
to play around.
One trap though in case any other newbies are interested : after a failed
attempt, remove the http installation directory and untar the installation
download afresh. I got caught out with that one - there were 32bit ".o"
files that were not being clobbered and were stuffing the make up.

Thanks again.

From:   Eugene <eu...@gmail.com>
To:     "users@httpd.apache.org" <us...@httpd.apache.org>
Date:   07/02/2011 11:16 PM

I compile Httpd with SunStudio using options:
CC=cc \
CFLAGS="-fast -xO4 -mt -xtarget=generic -m64 -DSSL_EXPERIMENTAL
-DSSL_ENGINE" \
CXX=$CC \
CXXFLAGS="$CFLAFS" \
LDFLAGS="-xtarget=generic -m64 -L/usr/sfw/lib/64 -L/usr/lib/64
-R/usr/sfw/lib/64 -R/usr/lib/64" \
GREP=grep \
./configure \
## here is the set of httpd configuration options ##

"-m64" turns 64-bit on