Posted to announce@apache.org by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@apache.org> on 2019/05/19 15:59:12 UTC

[CVE-2019-10078] Apache JSPWiki Cross-site scripting vulnerability on Apache JSPWiki

Severity
Medium

Vendor
The Apache Software Foundation

Versions Affected
Apache JSPWiki up to 2.11.0.M3

Description
A carefully crafted plugin link invocation could trigger an XSS
vulnerability  on Apache JSPWiki, which could lead to session hijacking.
Initial reporting indicated ReferredPagesPlugin, but further analysis
showed that multiple plugins were vulnerable.

Mitigation
Apache JSPWiki users should upgrade to 2.11.0.M4 or later.

Credit
This issue was discovered RunningSnail.

ref: https://jspwiki-wiki.apache.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CVE-2019-10078

Re: [CVE-2019-10078] Apache JSPWiki Cross-site scripting vulnerability on Apache JSPWiki

Posted by Dirk Frederickx <di...@gmail.com>.
Brian,

The JSPWiki plugin environment  does foresee some helper functions to help
sanitizing the output of a plugin.
But it is mostly up to the plugin (and the plugin author)  to be cautious
about the rendered html.
Especially if the plugin is composing the html by means of string handling.

Eg.
With the TableOfContents plugin has a title parameter which get's rendered
as an h4 in the plugin's output;  it is up to the Plugin writer to make
sure the TextUtil.replaceEntities(title) is called so malicious <script>'s
cannot survive.

However if the plugin would be using eg jdom2 to render the output html,
chances are that there is less to worry about.

Br,
dirk

Posted by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brian,