Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Tim Motika <tm...@ionami.com> on 2003/08/07 00:30:32 UTC

Peer System status and the incubator

Status note to the incubator about a previously proposed project:

Before the incubator started, I sent a letter about donating
PeerMetrics's Peer System (p2p platform and java impl) to apache.
This was on the docket a year and more ago to be reviewed.
Ken Coar pointed at the forming incubator and lurking on the list.

The people I've talked to since as well as the forums say
that the most important part of an apache project is its
members, and that a community without an idea is far more
important than a codebase without a strong community.

The Peer System currently lacks this.  For being a good incubator
candidate it needs this, so I am going forward on this first.
We've applied the Apache license, gotten a source forge account,
and I'm working on transiting PeerMetrics.com to PeerMetrics.org
(dissolving the .com) to work on building this.  Doing things in
one's spare time always takes awhile, especially trying to do
them as they should be done, thus the delay...

When we have a stronger community then we can look at making
a proposal...

It's been exciting to see things go forward in the incubator in the mean time.

Tim

Re: Peer System status and the incubator

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Tim Motika wrote, On 07/08/2003 0.30:
> Status note to the incubator about a previously proposed project:
>
> Before the incubator started, I sent a letter about donating
> PeerMetrics's Peer System (p2p platform and java impl) to apache.
> This was on the docket a year and more ago to be reviewed.
> Ken Coar pointed at the forming incubator and lurking on the list.

:-)

> The people I've talked to since as well as the forums say
> that the most important part of an apache project is its
> members, and that a community without an idea is far more
> important than a codebase without a strong community.

Not exactly, as a community without a project usually means "party" ;-)

But yes, Apache is here to ensure that projects outlive their creators
making communities take over the project, hence for us communities are
our main asset.

> The Peer System currently lacks this.  For being a good incubator
> candidate it needs this, so I am going forward on this first.
> We've applied the Apache license, gotten a source forge account,
> and I'm working on transiting PeerMetrics.com to PeerMetrics.org
> (dissolving the .com) to work on building this.  Doing things in
> one's spare time always takes awhile, especially trying to do
> them as they should be done, thus the delay...

Don't worry, we are always open ;-)

> When we have a stronger community then we can look at making
> a proposal...

How "strong" is the community now?
How "strong" would you reckon the community should become before applying?

> It's been exciting to see things go forward in the incubator in the mean time.

Yes, it is :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -