Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Swati Kulkarni <sw...@patni.com> on 2007/03/30 06:50:12 UTC

Do we need SVN client 1.4.3 to work on repository created with SVN1.4.3 ??

I have SVN1.3.0 and am working on repository of SVN 1.4.3..

I could checkout, commit...

when I tried "svn log" it gives me an error like too old svn client....

Here is the scenario.....

C:\>svn log "s:\latest_ver\New Text Document.txt"
svn: This client is too old to work with working copy 'S:\latest_ver';
please ge
t a newer Subversion client

C:\>svn --version
svn, version 1.3.0 (r17949)
   compiled Jan 15 2006, 23:18:48

Copyright (C) 2000-2005 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet
(http://www.Collab.Net/).

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV) protocol.
  - handles 'http' scheme
  - handles 'https' scheme
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
  - handles 'svn' scheme
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' scheme

Thanks & Regards,

Swati

http://www.patni.com

kindly delete  this e-mail from your records. If it appears that this
us immediately at netadmin@patni.com and delete this mail.

Re: Do we need SVN client 1.4.3 to work on repository created with SVN1.4.3 ??

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 30, 2007, at 07:27, Andy Levy wrote:

> On 3/30/07, Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:
>
>> On Friday 30 March 2007 08:50, Swati Kulkarni wrote:
>>
>> > C:\>svn log "s:\latest_ver\New Text Document.txt"
>> > svn: This client is too old to work with working copy 'S:
>> \latest_ver';
>>             ^^^^^^
>> > please get a newer Subversion client
>>                                 ^^^^^^
>>
>> Please see the release notes for 1.4, they changes so things in
>> the working
>> copy format and newer working copies cease to work with older
>> clients.
>>
>> However: this has nothing to do with what you asked in the
>> subject, the
>> repository format definitely did not change. The only non-backward
>> compatible
>> change you might have experienced in the 1.x releases would be a
>> change that
>> is due to upgrading the Berkeley DB libraries, otherwise full
>> backward
>> compatibility was achieved.
>
> I thought the repository format did change (svnadmin 1.3 can't operate
> on repositories created with svnadmin 1.4), but the network layer is
> still fully compatible, so old & new clients & servers can still
> communicate.

In 1.4, the working copy format changed, and if you use a working
copy with a Subversion 1.4.x client, it auto-updates the working copy
so that it will only work with Subversion 1.4.x clients from then on.
I don't think there is any way to tell it not to do this.

In 1.4, the repository format also changed, but the repository does
not auto-upgrade to the new format. If you want it, you have to dump
and reload the repository. Also, you can still create 1.3-compatible
repositories using 1.4, if you pass the --pre-1.4-compatible switch
to svnadmin create.

All 1.x Subversion servers and clients should still be able to
communicate with one another over the network protocols.

Re: Do we need SVN client 1.4.3 to work on repository created with SVN1.4.3 ??

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.
On Friday 30 March 2007 08:50, Swati Kulkarni wrote:
> I have SVN1.3.0 and am working on repository of SVN 1.4.3..
>
> I could checkout, commit...
>
> when I tried "svn log" it gives me an error like too old svn client....
>
> Here is the scenario.....
>

> C:\>svn log "s:\latest_ver\New Text Document.txt"
> svn: This client is too old to work with working copy 'S:\latest_ver';
            ^^^^^^
> please get a newer Subversion client
                                ^^^^^^

Please see the release notes for 1.4, they changes so things in the working
copy format and newer working copies cease to work with older clients.

However: this has nothing to do with what you asked in the subject, the
repository format definitely did not change. The only non-backward compatible
change you might have experienced in the 1.x releases would be a change that
is due to upgrading the Berkeley DB libraries, otherwise full backward
compatibility was achieved.

Uli

Sator Laser GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Ronald Boers, Amtsgericht Hamburg HR B62 932

           Visit our website at <http://www.satorlaser.de/>
Diese E-Mail einschließlich sämtlicher Anhänge ist nur für den Adressaten bestimmt und kann vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie den Absender umgehend, falls Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empfänger sein sollten. Die E-Mail ist in diesem Fall zu löschen und darf weder gelesen, weitergeleitet, veröffentlicht oder anderweitig benutzt werden.
E-Mails können durch Dritte gelesen werden und Viren sowie nichtautorisierte Änderungen enthalten. Sator Laser GmbH ist für diese Folgen nicht verantwortlich.

Re: Do we need SVN client 1.4.3 to work on repository created with SVN1.4.3 ??

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 30, 2007, at 01:50, Swati Kulkarni wrote:

> I have SVN1.3.0 and am working on repository of SVN 1.4.3..

Using a Subversion 1.3.x client and a Subversion 1.4.x client
together is not a problem...

> I could checkout, commit...
>
> when I tried "svn log" it gives me an error like too old svn
> client....
>
> Here is the scenario.....
>

> C:\>svn log "s:\latest_ver\New Text Document.txt"
> svn: This client is too old to work with working copy 'S:\latest_ver';
> please get a newer Subversion client

But here it sounds like you have at one point used a Subversion 1.4.x
client with this working copy, after which it is no longer possible
to use a Subversion 1.3.x client with the working copy.

So: either upgrade your client to Subversion 1.4.x, or check out a
new working copy with Subversion 1.3.x and from then on only use
Subversion 1.3.x clients to access that working copy.