Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by David Medinets <me...@mtolive.com> on 2003/04/28 14:39:08 UTC

Bug when using IndexSearcher on empty RAMDirectory?

First I created a RAMDirectory and then searched it when it was empty. And I got a NullPointerException. I looked in the API for a way to determine if the directory is empty so that I could add code to prevent searching an empty directory, but I could not find such a method (like isEmpty?).

Does anyone have any suggestions or should I simply trap the NullPointerException?

Here is the example that causes the problem:

import java.io.IOException;

public class BugTest {
        RAMDirectory indexStore = new RAMDirectory();
        IndexSearcher searcher = new IndexSearcher(indexStore);
    }
}

Here is the exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.lucene.store.RAMInputStream.<init>(RAMDirectory.java:217)
at org.apache.lucene.store.RAMDirectory.openFile(RAMDirectory.java:182)
at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.read(SegmentInfos.java:71)
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader$1.doBody(IndexReader.java:106)
at org.apache.lucene.store.Lock$With.run(Lock.java:116)
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:103)
at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.<init>(IndexSearcher.java:80)
at BugTest.main(BugTest.java:10)
Exception in thread "main"

Thanks,
David Medinets
Quality = Resource Multiplication
http://www.codebits.com

Re: Bug when using IndexSearcher on empty RAMDirectory?

Posted by David Medinets <me...@mtolive.com>.
Most excellent. Thanks.

Posted by petite_abeille <pe...@mac.com>.