Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com> on 2003/05/27 19:42:19 UTC

A couple of FAQ items

XSL FAQ:
The XSL FAQ link is incorrect. It is currently:

   http://dpawson.co.uk/xsl/

showing the directory contents of "Index of xsl/"... It should be:

   http://dpawson.co.uk/xsl/xslfaq.html

HYPHENATION INFO:
   3.9. Hyphenation does not work.

   Set the language attribute somewhere. Check whether you use a
   language for which hyphenation is supported. Supported languages
   can be deduced from the files in the hyph directory of the FOP
   source distribution.

Adding examples of how to add hyphenation would limit the number of
questions fop-user (perhaps something like this--or whatever might work):

   <fo:root lang="pt">

Also, to determine the included hyphenation patterns in FOP, one
currently has to download the Source distribution and look in the hyph
directory (at the very least, it would be better to indicate "hyph/"
directory). Even better would be to indicate which languages are
included. Also, this would be a good place to indicate where one might
find links to hyphenation patterns which do work (or provide a link to
the Resources page where there might be links to other hyph
patterns--and also info on how to "convert", say TeX patterns to
FOP-usable ones). (NOTE: I understand there are problems with including
copyrighted hyphenation patterns in the FOP distribution, but aren't
there patterns for which people may download patterns but their licenses
simply do not allow them to be included in Apache stuff?).

;-p

--
Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com

Re: A couple of FAQ items

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
On 28.05.2003 20:58:32 Clay Leeds wrote:
> On 5/28/2003 12:02 AM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > A comment concerning the hyphenation patterns: I think what you suggest
> > is necessary but there was also the idea of sparing the average FOP user
> > the necessity to dig into licensing issues. A really frustrating
> > experience. Just for the record. :-)
> >
> > On 27.05.2003 19:42:19 Clay Leeds wrote:
> >>HYPHENATION INFO:
> >>   3.9. Hyphenation does not work.
> >>
> >>   Set the language attribute somewhere. Check whether you use a
> >>   language for which hyphenation is supported. Supported languages
> >>   can be deduced from the files in the hyph directory of the FOP
> >>   source distribution.
>
> While I agree we should "spare" the average user of licensing issues, my
> point is that there are places where the average user can legally
> download the same hyph patterns Apache cannot incorporate into their
> products for licensing reasons. As long as they are links to pages (I
> don't recommend links to the files themselves! ;-p), it would seem
> helpful to provide such links.

That's what I have done, although there is only one really good link I
know of. Most others are mirrors of the first.

> The average user may not have to deal
> with the licensing issues the Apache Foundation has to deal with (they
> may have to "deal" with them, but may be in their rights to use them or
> to fulfill the licensing requirements to use them).

That's why I've added a clearly visible warning at the bottom that tells
people to pay attention to the licences (or the lack of them).

> As for the Hyphenation FAQ, it's so brief it begs to have questions
> submitted to fop-user by anyone having hyphenation problems. I, for one,
> still don't even understand how it works. It would be great to merely
> put something like this:

Already done something.

> Hyphenation
> ===========
> You can find an example of implementing hyphenation patterns in this
> example xsl-fo document:
>
>    examples\fo\basic\hyphen.fo

Good idea. This could still be added.

> The relevant code for adding hyphenation to an fo:block is:
>
>    language="en"
>    country="US"
>    hyphenate="true"
>    hyphenation-push-character-count="2"
>    hyphenation-remain-character-count="2"
>
> [..]
>
> Of course, I still don't know how to apply a language attribute to my
> XML source file. The XML Bible Gold Edition shows this:
>
> <q xml:lang="fr-FR"
> cite="ftp://movie0.archive.org/pub/etext/etext01/swann10h.htm"
>  >
> Longtemps, je me suis couche' de bonne heure[..]
> </q>

This is fine. You only need to translate the xml:lang to XSL:FO language
and country properties in your stylesheet. I wonder why they specified
language/country instead of using xml:lang.

> After reading this, I would try adding the following to my document:
>
> <doc xml:lang="en-US">
> <EOB>
> <children-of-EOB>Yeehaw!</children-of-EOB>
> <paragraph-pertaining-to-EOB-children>Yata yata yata
> </paragraph-pertaining-to-EOB-children>
> [..]
> </EOB>
> </doc>
>
> (or I could use <doc xml:lang="en-GB"> or merely <doc xml:lang="en">
> because of our current licensing problems)...
>
> BTW, how does one allow the en-GB hyphenation pattern (which is included
> with the FOP distribution) to work for en-US (which I believe isn't
> included due to licensing issues)? I remember someone mentioning
> somewhere a workaround, but I don't recall what it was. Something like
> naming it "en" instead of "en-GB" or something.

Just rename en-GB.xml to en.xml and rebuild FOP.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: A couple of FAQ items

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On 5/28/2003 12:02 AM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> A comment concerning the hyphenation patterns: I think what you suggest
> is necessary but there was also the idea of sparing the average FOP user
> the necessity to dig into licensing issues. A really frustrating
> experience. Just for the record. :-)
>
> On 27.05.2003 19:42:19 Clay Leeds wrote:
>>HYPHENATION INFO:
>>   3.9. Hyphenation does not work.
>>
>>   Set the language attribute somewhere. Check whether you use a
>>   language for which hyphenation is supported. Supported languages
>>   can be deduced from the files in the hyph directory of the FOP
>>   source distribution.

While I agree we should "spare" the average user of licensing issues, my
point is that there are places where the average user can legally
download the same hyph patterns Apache cannot incorporate into their
products for licensing reasons. As long as they are links to pages (I
don't recommend links to the files themselves! ;-p), it would seem
helpful to provide such links. The average user may not have to deal

RE: Setting up CVS on Mac OS X (was Re: A couple of FAQ items)

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.
Clay Leeds wrote:

> I've downloaded CVS xml-fop. However, I don't know how to use it. Also,
> I don't know where the web site docs are located so I wouldn't know how
> to patch/submit patches for the web site. Any clues? Can someone point
> me in the direction of the web site CVS? I'd love to start patching
> away. (NOTE: to Victor et al, the docs are already in *much* better
> shape than when I first got here ~1 year ago!)

The location of the web site docs is given at:
http://xml.apache.org/fop/dev/doc.html#general

The procedure for creating a patch is at:
http://xml.apache.org/fop/dev/#patches

Some information for setting up and using CVS, including a link to a GUI CVS
client for the Mac, is located at:
http://xml.apache.org/fop/dev/tools.html#cvs

As with all of the doc, if it is deficient, please submit a patch ;-).
Seriously, please do point out or fix any deficiencies to make it better for
the next guy.

Victor Mote

Setting up CVS on Mac OS X (was Re: A couple of FAQ items)

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
Jeremias,

On 5/28/2003 12:02 AM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I'm grateful that you indicate problem spots in our documentation and
> offer suggestions. But may I encourage you to just do (TM) the changes
> yourself and submit patches in the future? Your suggestions would make
> it on the website a lot faster that way. We are eager to help you set up
> your environment to do this.

Sounds good. I've got a Mac OS X machine (my personal machine) that
comes with CVS "built-in" but I've never used it. Unfortunately, I'm
limited on my work PC to what I can download there (*everything* I
download has to be pre-approved).

Don't know much 'bout CVS yet, but I've got a couple of places to look
(<http://www.macslash.org/article.pl?sid=02/05/31/1934236&mode=nested>,
<http://developer.apple.com/internet/macosx/cvsoverview.html>, and
<http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html> if anyone's interested). I
just haven't found the need to use CVS yet.

I've just downloaded MacCvsX 3.3a2 (a cvsgui from
http://cvsgui.sourceforge.net/--yes they have a Mac OS X version, albeit
BETA & ALPHA versions--but it seems to work!) and have begun plugging
away to get set up.

Re: A couple of FAQ items

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.

Re: A couple of FAQ items

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Done. BTW, the XSL FAQ URL was already corrected in CVS, just not yet
published on the site.

Jeremias Maerki

RE: A couple of FAQ items

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.
Victor Mote wrote:

> Clay Leeds wrote (on May 27, 2003):

> > patterns--and also info on how to "convert", say TeX patterns to
> > FOP-usable ones). (NOTE: I understand there are problems with including
>
> I don't know if there are standard tools to do this or not. I
> don't think it
> would be very hard to write a little sed script to handle this, but maybe
> there is already something available. If you would, please
> research this and
> report back, then we'll figure out what should happen here.

I should have refreshed my memory about the format of our hyphenation files.
A quick look at one of them reveals that conversion from an existing TeX
format would be a very trivial task, easily explained in a few paragraphs.

Victor Mote

RE: A couple of FAQ items

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.
Victor Mote wrote:

> We don't have a policy, but I don't think we want to advertise two web
> sites. Instead, let me add a big warning about my uncertainty of
> the quality
> of that section, then I'll go ahead & publish it again. If all
> goes well, I
> think that it should be visible in about an hour.

OK, it is now on the published site. Please go ahead & help the user as you
intended.

Victor Mote

RE: A couple of FAQ items

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.

Re: A couple of FAQ items

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.

On Tuesday, July 15, 2003, at 01:40  AM, Victor Mote wrote:

> Victor Mote wrote:
>
>> Clay Leeds wrote (on May 27, 2003):
>
>>> patterns--and also info on how to "convert", say TeX patterns to
>>> FOP-usable ones). (NOTE: I understand there are problems with
>>> including
>
> I have gone ahead and added ViewCVS links into the contents of the XML
> files
> in CVS, so that users can see working examples of how to set these up.
>
> Also, I have added a section down at the bottom of the hyphenation page
> briefly explaining the contents of the patterns files. I would be very
> grateful to have any on this list review its contents, but especially
> Joerg,
> who has, IIRC, recently gained some expertise in this area. I am
> especially
> concerned about whether I have the "before" and "after" attributes of
> "hyphen-min" going the right direction. I'll check it myself later if
> I get
> no responses. I have mild hopes that helping people create/modify these
> files might give us some solutions to our licensing problems.
>
> This version is unpublished, but can be viewed here:
> http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-fop/hyphenation.html#patterns
>
> Thanks.
>
> Victor Mote

---
Web Maestro Clay - webmaestro@mac.com

Re: A couple of FAQ items

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
>> Also, I have added a section down at the bottom of the hyphenation
>> page
>> briefly explaining the contents of the patterns files. I would be very
>> grateful to have any on this list review its contents, but especially
>> Joerg,
>> who has, IIRC, recently gained some expertise in this area. I am
>> especially
>> concerned about whether I have the "before" and "after" attributes of
>> "hyphen-min" going the right direction. I'll check it myself later if
>> I get
>> no responses. I have mild hopes that helping people create/modify
>> these
>> files might give us some solutions to our licensing problems.
>>
>> This version is unpublished, but can be viewed here:
>> http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-fop/
>> hyphenation.html#patterns

I've found a couple of items to comment on (surprise). But before I do,
I must say that it is a *huge* improvement! GREAT WORK!

First, on the userconfig.xml front, I still feel more strongly a need
to put an example of adding the hyphenation-dir. Adding an example
should limit the need to go Something like:

====

Put the file into a directory of your choice and configure FOP to look
for custom patterns in this directory, by setting the <hyphenation-dir>
configuration option. For example, to add a hyphenation directory in
the fop-0.20.5rc3a/conf/userconfig.xml file, remove the comment tags
("<!--" and "-->") and placing the path to your hyphenation directory
between the <value> and </value> tags:

<!--
   <entry>
     <key>hyphenation-dir</key>
     <value>/java/xml-fop/hyph</value>
   </entry>
-->

(NOTE: Don't forget to remove the comment tags "<!--" and "-->" to
un-comment the hyphenation-dir lines!)

For more information see <a
href="configuration.html#hyphenation-dir">FOP:
Configuration:hyphenation-dir</a>.
====

Standardizing our system of referencing other sections will help
improve readability, and navigation.

====
Place the FOP-compatible hyphenation pattern file into the directory
{fop-dir}/src/hyph and rebuild FOP. The file will be picked up and
added to fop.jar.

For more information see <a href="compiling.html">FOP: Building from
Source Code</a>.
====
Also, should we add something to help indicate that the 'en'
hyphenation code is an en_GB hyphenation file? I'm not suggesting we
rename it as such (which I assume would break hyphenation for en if GB
were not specified in the FO), but merely that we provide a note
somewhere to this effect.

As for the conversion process, I was going to recommend that we add a
portion of an example of a converted TeX file (before and after
conversion), but I opened the 'en' & 'it' versions (from CVS) and was
almost completely confused... hehehe... I guess it's based on some sort
of regexp or some such... ah well...

Hope this helps...

BTW, I'd've contributed a patch, but I'm having a couple of issues:
1. The hyphenation.xml file is not in the xml-fop location I was
expecting. I guess since' it's a new file it isn't there. One other
problem could be that I'm looking in fop-0_20_2-maintain (hehehe...).
2. (probably more important!) I'm still having problems with my MacCVSX
installation. I've got this weird double-menu bug which wreaks havoc
with my ability to choose simple commands (like "Quit"!). I'm also
having problems configuring my CVS so I can load different CVS
repositories... I spent some time viewing the cvsgui mailing list
archives, but have been unsuccessful so far. I'll keep looking.
---
- Dalai Lama of Tibet

Re: A couple of FAQ items

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
Wow! I have come 'back' to find that Victor (et al?) has done a
tremendous amount of work on the Hyphenation section! What an
improvement!

<relativelyuselessbackgroundinfo>I'm currently undergoing a paradigm
shift in how I code as my main development system loses *all* internet
access to be put onto a closed/controlled "programming" network.
Instead, my main 'net-accessible platform is going to be my PowerBook
running Mac OS X. As a result, I've had something of a break in my work
routine... </relativelyuselessbackgroundinfo>

At present, I can think of nothing to add, but I'll spend some time
looking...

On Tuesday, July 15, 2003, at 01:40  AM, Victor Mote wrote:
> Victor Mote wrote:
>
>> Clay Leeds wrote (on May 27, 2003):
>
>>> patterns--and also info on how to "convert", say TeX patterns to
>>> FOP-usable ones). (NOTE: I understand there are problems with
>>> including
>
> I have gone ahead and added ViewCVS links into the contents of the XML
> files
> in CVS, so that users can see working examples of how to set these up.
>
> Also, I have added a section down at the bottom of the hyphenation page
> briefly explaining the contents of the patterns files. I would be very
> grateful to have any on this list review its contents, but especially
> Joerg,
> who has, IIRC, recently gained some expertise in this area. I am
> especially
> concerned about whether I have the "before" and "after" attributes of
> "hyphen-min" going the right direction. I'll check it myself later if
> I get
> no responses. I have mild hopes that helping people create/modify these
> files might give us some solutions to our licensing problems.
>
> This version is unpublished, but can be viewed here:
> http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-fop/hyphenation.html#patterns
>
> Thanks.
>
> Victor Mote

---
Web Maestro Clay - webmaestro@mac.com

RE: A couple of FAQ items

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.

RE: A couple of FAQ items

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.
Clay Leeds wrote (on May 27, 2003):

> To: FOP-Dev
> Subject: A couple of FAQ items
>

> XSL FAQ:
> The XSL FAQ link is incorrect. It is currently:
>
>    http://dpawson.co.uk/xsl/
>
> showing the directory contents of "Index of xsl/"... It should be:
>
>    http://dpawson.co.uk/xsl/xslfaq.html

Again, my apologies for being so slow -- cleaning out old to-do items. I
think we have moved all similar items to the "Other" resources page. Will
you please look to see if you still think changes are needed here?

> HYPHENATION INFO:
>    3.9. Hyphenation does not work.
>
>    Set the language attribute somewhere. Check whether you use a
>    language for which hyphenation is supported. Supported languages
>    can be deduced from the files in the hyph directory of the FOP
>    source distribution.
>
> Adding examples of how to add hyphenation would limit the number of
> questions fop-user (perhaps something like this--or whatever might work):
>
>    <fo:root lang="pt">

I think that someone has already added this. I just reworked it a bit.

> Also, to determine the included hyphenation patterns in FOP, one
> currently has to download the Source distribution and look in the hyph
> directory (at the very least, it would be better to indicate "hyph/"
> directory). Even better would be to indicate which languages are
> included. Also, this would be a good place to indicate where one might
> find links to hyphenation patterns which do work (or provide a link to
> the Resources page where there might be links to other hyph

I just now added this to the new hyphenation page (in CVS).

> patterns--and also info on how to "convert", say TeX patterns to
> FOP-usable ones). (NOTE: I understand there are problems with including

I don't know if there are standard tools to do this or not. I don't think it
would be very hard to write a little sed script to handle this, but maybe
there is already something available. If you would, please research this and
report back, then we'll figure out what should happen here.

> copyrighted hyphenation patterns in the FOP distribution, but aren't
> there patterns for which people may download patterns but their licenses
> simply do not allow them to be included in Apache stuff?).

I think Jeremias has this covered with a link to the CTAN archives (the link
is now on the hyphenation page). If you know of other sources, please report
back & we'll get them added.

As usual, thanks very much for your input.

Victor Mote