Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Kathiresan S <ka...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/14 20:40:02 UTC

Cassandra Upgrade 3.0.x vs 3.x (Tick-Tock Release)

Hi,

We are planning for Cassandra upgrade in our production environment.
Which version of Cassandra is stable and is advised to upgrade to, at the
moment?

Looking at this JIRA (CASSANDRA-10822
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-10822>), it looks like, if
at all we plan to upgrade any recent version, it should be >= 3.0.2/3.2

Should it be 3.0.4 / 3.0.3 / 3.3 or 3.4 ? In general, is it a good practice
to upgrade to a Tick-Tock release instead of 3.0.X version. Please advice.

Thanks,
​​Kathir

Re: Cassandra Upgrade 3.0.x vs 3.x (Tick-Tock Release)

Posted by Bryan Cheng <br...@blockcypher.com>.
Hi Kathir,

The specific version will depend on your needs (eg. libraries) and
risk/stability profile. Personally, I generally go with the oldest branch
with still active maintenance (which would be 2.2.x or 2.1.x if you only
need critical fixes), but there's lots of good stuff in 3.x if you're happy
being a little closer to the bleeding edge.

There was a bit of discussion elsewhere on this list, eg here:
https://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg45990.html,
searching may turn up some more recommendations.

--Bryan

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 12:40 PM, Kathiresan S <kathiresanselvaraj@gmail.com

Posted by Kathiresan S <ka...@gmail.com>.
ok, thanks...

Posted by "ssivikt@gmail.com" <ss...@gmail.com>.
Note, that DataStax Enterprise still uses C* v2.1......

On 03/15/2016 08:25 PM, Kathiresan S wrote:
> Thank you all !
>
> Thanks,
> Kathir
>

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 5:50 AM, ssivikt@gmail.com
> <ma...@gmail.com> <ssivikt@gmail.com
> <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I think that it's not ready, since it has critical bugs. See
>     emails about C* memory leaks....
>

>     On 03/15/2016 01:15 AM, Robert Coli wrote:
>>     On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 12:40 PM, Kathiresan S
>>     <kathiresanselvaraj@gmail.com
>>     <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         We are planning for Cassandra upgrade in our production
>>         environment.
>>         Which version of Cassandra is stable and is advised to
>>         upgrade to, at the moment?
>>

>>     https://www.eventbrite.com/engineering/what-version-of-cassandra-should-i-run/
>>
>>     (IOW, you should run either 2.1.MAX or 2.2.5)
>>
>>     Relatively soon, the answer will be "3.0.x", probably around the
>>     time where 3.0.x is >= 6.
>>
>>     After this series, the change in release cadence may change the
>>     above rule of thumb.
>>
>>     =Rob
>
>     --
>     Thanks,
>     Serj

Serj

Re: Cassandra Upgrade 3.0.x vs 3.x (Tick-Tock Release)

Posted by Kathiresan S <ka...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all !

Thanks,
Kathir

Posted by "ssivikt@gmail.com" <ss...@gmail.com>.
I think that it's not ready, since it has critical bugs. See emails
about C* memory leaks....

On 03/15/2016 01:15 AM, Robert Coli wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 12:40 PM, Kathiresan S
> <kathiresanselvaraj@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     We are planning for Cassandra upgrade in our production environment.
>     Which version of Cassandra is stable and is advised to upgrade to,
>     at the moment?
>

> https://www.eventbrite.com/engineering/what-version-of-cassandra-should-i-run/
>
> (IOW, you should run either 2.1.MAX or 2.2.5)
>
> Relatively soon, the answer will be "3.0.x", probably around the time
> where 3.0.x is >= 6.
>
> After this series, the change in release cadence may change the above
> rule of thumb.
>
> =Rob

Serj

Re: Cassandra Upgrade 3.0.x vs 3.x (Tick-Tock Release)

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.