Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2012/02/21 14:54:08 UTC

[users@httpd] [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache HTTP Server 2.4.1 Released

                Apache HTTP Server 2.4.1 Released

The Apache Software Foundation and the Apache HTTP Server Project are
pleased to announce the GA release of version 2.4.1 of the Apache HTTP
Server. This version of Apache HTTP Server is the first GA release of
the new 2.4.x branch.

Apache HTTP Server 2.4 provides a number of improvements and
enhancements over the 2.2 version. A listing and description of these
features is available via:

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/new_features_2_4.html

Please see the CHANGES_2.4 file, linked from the download page, for a
full list of changes.

We consider this release to be the best version of Apache HTTP Server
available, and encourage users of all prior versions to upgrade.
Apache HTTP Server 2.4.1 is available for download from:

    http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi

This release requires the Apache Portable Runtime (APR) version 1.4.x
and APR-Util version 1.4.x. The APR libraries must be upgraded for all
features of httpd to operate correctly.

This release builds on and extends the Apache 2.2 API. Modules written
for Apache 2.2 will need to be recompiled in order to run with Apache
2.4, and may require minimal source code changes.

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/developer/new_api_2_4.html

A summary of all of the security vulnerabilities addressed in this and
earlier releases is available:

    http://httpd.apache.org/security/vulnerabilities_24.html

Important:
Windows users: AcceptFilter None has replaced Win32DisableAcceptEx
and the feature appears to have interoperability issues with mod_ssl.
Apache 2.4.1 may not yet be suitable for all Windows servers.  There
is not yet a Windows binary distribution of httpd 2.4, but this is
expected to be remedied soon as various dependencies graduate from
beta to GA.

[users@httpd]

Posted by Ruiyuan Jiang <Ru...@liz.com>.
Hi, all

I have an apache2.2.22 reverse proxy server running. On the reverse proxy server, it has multiple virtual hosts. Some of them are https connections besides http connection. The backend servers behind the reverse proxy server have either https or http connection with the Apache reverse proxy server. Currently Apache does not authenticate external users. The authentication prompt comes from backend servers if authentication is required. There is one application which is the same from users point view when they access the site either they are in the office or home to login to the server through https authentication which is Microsoft Active Directory based.
Now there is a request for the application that for some users when they are in the office, they access the site as usual. When those users are at home, they are not allowed to access the internal site through Apache reverse proxy server. I am thinking adding mod_ldap support on the Apache reverse proxy server to authenticate those users. We can create a group, i.e. deny_access on the Microsoft Active Directory so when the users authenticate through Apache reverse proxy server and if users belong to that group then the access is denied. Is this possible? Thanks.

Ryan Jiang

This message (including any attachments) is intended
solely for the specific individual(s) or entity(ies) named
above, and may contain legally privileged and
confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender immediately by
replying to this message and then delete it.
Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message,
or the taking of any action based on it, by other than the
intended recipient, is strictly prohibited.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache HTTP Server 2.4.1 Released

Posted by Lester Caine <le...@lsces.co.uk>.
Good Guy wrote:

>> >  Starter for ten
>> >  http://www.anindya.com/apache-http-server-2-4-1-x86-and-x64-windows-installers/
>> >
> The link is not official download site so one should be wary of
> downloading anything from such sites.  It is better to compile the
> source code yourself so that you know nothing else is embedded/bundled
> in the binaries.

Anindya has been providing 64 bit builds of PHP for some time and added the
Apache builds that were compatible. Given the amount of work needed to set up a
build system and keep it up to date, we are grateful that HE donates the time to
do it! Since these are not provided by 'official' channels nowadays at all :(

My own build system is broken again so I've not been able to run my own builds
and I certainly don't have hours to waste trying to fix the problems myself.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL

[users@httpd] Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache HTTP Server 2.4.1 Released

Posted by Good Guy <xf...@hotmail.com>.

Website: http://mytaxsite.co.uk
Website: http://html-css.co.uk
Forums: http://mytaxsite.boardhost.com
Email: http://mytaxsite.co.uk/contact-us

Re: [users@httpd] Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache HTTP Server 2.4.1 Released

Posted by Lester Caine <le...@lsces.co.uk>.

Posted by Moshe Ben-Shoham <mo...@perfectomobile.com>.
Hi,

I am also waiting for the Windows binaries for httpd-2.4.1. I saw that Expat 2.1.0 was released, zlib 1.2.7 was not yet released and OpenSSL 1.0.1 was released.

I was wondering if there is an ETA for the Windows binaries? Specifically (assuming we are OK with Expat 2.1.0), is there any idea if zlib 1.2.7 is coming soon?

Thanks,
Moshe.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by DW <xf...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks for the info.  Windows binaries are still not available so
wondered if these would be ready tomorrow.  Also, do I need to make any
changes to my configuration file or can I use the same one as the one
currently on 2.2.22.

Thanks again.