Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Robert S. Sfeir" <yo...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/22 01:20:21 UTC

File corruption causing SVNadmin seg fault

All,

I have a co worker who started getting an error on a file in our
repository.  The error is:

subversion/libsvn_wc/update_editor.c:1582: (apr_err=155017)
svn: Checksum mismatch for 'src/com/codepuccino/mesquite/web/
security/.svn/text-base/MesquiteAuthenticationDao.java.svn-base';
expected: '97d99fba017193a327b0f886eb9e535f', actual:
'96e904c5245213b320f1b1a1d28c4c25'

The problem is that I can edit this file and check in code to it no
problem.  Removing the directory containing the code and updating,
updates the dir and he can check the file in.  The question is how
does this happen in the first place.

So I went into the server and tried to run svnadmin verify repo and
it goes through and then does one of those:

* Verified revision 371.
* Verified revision 372.
* Verified revision 373.
* Verified revision 374.
* Verified revision 375.
Segmentation fault

We're currently at revision 481, so something happened way back and
didn't seem to affect anything, but svnadmin is not helping tell us
what the issue is, only that it got an exception and ate it.  No
verbose mode it seems to see where the problem might be.

We're running FSFS not BDB.

So I tried checking out the 376 revision and the file causing this
problem is called AttributeManagerImpl, the repository won't get past
it.  I know that because I tried to check out 377, and I got
AttributeManagerImpl, but there is a file after that one that is
causing a problem as well.  So it seems that there are files in the
repository which somehow got corrupted.  The files which have issues
are no longer in use in the repository, they were deleted around
version 470.

So questions are:

1- wth is this first error and how do we get around it.

2- What are our options with fixing the repository without losing
data?  Obviously verify fails, and I know which file is the problem,
is there a safe way to repair that, even if it means losing the file
and its data?

Thanks

Robert S. Sfeir
yosemitesam(at)gmailNOSPAM.com

Re: how to get exit codes of svn commands

Posted by Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org>.
Please don't "borrow" threads?  Thanks.

On Tue, 2005-22-03 at 17:33 +0800, velocity wrote:
> To do this, I would like to issue the following command
>
> svnlook uuid <path>
>
> >From this, I wanted to get the exit code of svnlook to be able to tell
> if the given path is a valid repository or not. Given a valid path and
> a bogus path (but exists in the directory), the exit codes are both
> '0' {zero}.
>
> What is the right way of doing this?

Seemed like a sound use of the return code and sane to me so I tried it:

[nesscg@heidrun subversion]$ svnlook uuid ~/subversion/test/
d3c769be-e8f2-0310-8b1f-f7cd6d7c08ff
[nesscg@heidrun subversion]$ echo $?
0
[nesscg@heidrun subversion]$ svnlook uuid /
svn: Can't open file '/format': No such file or directory
[nesscg@heidrun subversion]$ echo $?
1
[nesscg@heidrun subversion]$ svn --version
svn, version 1.1.2 (r12471)
   compiled Jan 10 2005, 07:01:51

So it seems you could try and upgrade, or perhaps talk to the windows
packager to see if this problem exists in his source base.

Cheers,
Chris
--
Software Engineering IV,
McMaster University

how to get exit codes of svn commands

Posted by velocity <ve...@gmail.com>.
Hi. I'm making a windows script (jscript) so we can automate backups
of our subversion repository. In the process, I'm putting in checks to
validate arguments being passed. One of the checks I want to make is
if the path provided is in fact a repository.