Posted to solr-commits@lucene.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2012/12/17 19:02:01 UTC

[Solr Wiki] Update of "SolrCloud" by EricPugh

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Solr Wiki" for change notification.

The "SolrCloud" page has been changed by EricPugh:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud?action=diff&rev1=83&rev2=84

Comment:
Should I say this is a Solr 4.1 change?

   * '''name''': The name of the collection to be created
   * '''numShards''': The number of shards (sometimes called slices) to be created as part of the collection
   * '''replicationFactor''': The number of "additional" shard-replica (sometimes called shards) to be created for each shard. Set it to 0 to have "one shard-replica for each of your shards". Set to 1 to have "two shard-replica for each of your shards" etc. With a value of 0 your data will not be replicated
-  * '''maxShardsPerNode''' (not in 4.0.0 and not even committet yet - see SOLR-4114): A create operation will spread numShards*(replicationFactor+1) shard-replica across your live Solr nodes - fairly distributed, and never two shard-replica of the same shard on the same Solr node. If a Solr is not live at the point in time where the create operation is carried out, it will not get any shard-replica of the new collection. To prevent too many shard-replica being created on a single Solr node, use maxShardsPerNode to set a limit for how many shard-replica the create operation is allowed to create on each node - default is 1. If it cannot fit the entire collection (numShards*(replicationFactor+1) shard-replica) on you live Solrs it will not create anything at all.
+  * '''maxShardsPerNode''' : A create operation will spread numShards*(replicationFactor+1) shard-replica across your live Solr nodes - fairly distributed, and never two shard-replica of the same shard on the same Solr node. If a Solr is not live at the point in time where the create operation is carried out, it will not get any shard-replica of the new collection. To prevent too many shard-replica being created on a single Solr node, use maxShardsPerNode to set a limit for how many shard-replica the create operation is allowed to create on each node - default is 1. If it cannot fit the entire collection (numShards*(replicationFactor+1) shard-replica) on you live Solrs it will not create anything at all.
-  * '''createNodeSet''' (not in 4.0.0 and not even committet yet - see SOLR-4120): If not provided the create operation will create shard-replica spread across all of your live Solr nodes. You can provide the "createNodeSet" parameter to change the set of nodes to spread the shard-replica across. The format of values for this param is "<node-name1>,<node-name2>,...,<node-nameN>" - e.g. "localhost:8983_solr,localhost:8984_solr,localhost:8985_solr"
+  * '''createNodeSet''': If not provided the create operation will create shard-replica spread across all of your live Solr nodes. You can provide the "createNodeSet" parameter to change the set of nodes to spread the shard-replica across. The format of values for this param is "<node-name1>,<node-name2>,...,<node-nameN>" - e.g. "localhost:8983_solr,localhost:8984_solr,localhost:8985_solr"

  Note: replicationFactor defines the maximum number of replicas created in addition to the leader from amongst the nodes currently running (i.e. nodes added later will not be used for this collection). Imagine you have a cluster with 20 nodes and want to add an additional smaller collection to your installation with 2 shards, each shard with a leader and two replicas. You would specify a replicationFactor=2. Now six of your nodes will host this new collection and the other 14 will not host the new collection.

Re: [Solr Wiki] Update of "SolrCloud" by EricPugh

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.
I agree with the SolrCloud page specifically.  SolrCloud has so many changes between 4.0 and 4.1.  I am guessing that by the time we get to 4.2 or 4.3 that it will all be much more stable and then going back to marking it with a revision will work like the other wiki pages have.

On Dec 17, 2012, at 1:46 PM, Mark Miller wrote:

> On Dec 17, 2012, at 1:02 PM, Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Should I say this is a Solr 4.1 change?
>
> I really think we need to version the SolrCloud page.
>
> I think we need to version our docs in general, but the SolrCloud page already needs to be broken up I think. I'm just waiting until we start on a better docs route. But until then, it seems to crazy to litter it with if(thisversion) then.
>
> I think we should make a 4.0 version and then copy it and tweak to a 4.1 version.
>
> There are tradeoffs to this, but in my opinion its the only way to keep things sane.
>
> - Mark

Eric Pugh | Principal | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com
Co-Author: Apache Solr 3 Enterprise Search Server available from http://www.packtpub.com/apache-solr-3-enterprise-search-server/book
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether attachments are marked as such.

Re: [Solr Wiki] Update of "SolrCloud" by EricPugh

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.