Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by ka...@suvi.kas.utu.fi on 2001/11/05 15:26:48 UTC

SegFault report with backtrace

	Hello!

Here is a simple Test.pm handler that causes segfaults in our server.

The Test.pm uses XS for creating configuration settings. The purpose is to
set 'Testing' flag on or off in .htaccess files. I tried to make the
module as simple as possible.

The specifications are in the attachments files. sf_install.txt contains
the information about the mod_perl compilation and the test
module. sf_case1.txt contains the backtrace in Mandrake 8.1 with perl
5.6.1 while the sf_case2.txt contains the backtrace from Debian 2.2 with
perl 5.005_3.

To sum up the attachments, the error_log gives warnings like:
[debug] mod_perl.c(1322): [warning] PerlFixupHandler stack is not an ARRAY!
and the backtrace gives information like:
... type=0x81264d4 "SERVER_CREATE") at perl_config.c:896

The segfault problems seems to haunt me whenever I try to create new
configuration directives. In fact the different and unsolved segfaults
have made me test many combinations with different versions of linux,
perl, apache and mod_perl during the last year. Maybe better luck with
solaris? Too bad that propably the fault lies with me.

Of course, I'm more than happy to test/give more info about the segfault
problem! Best wishes,
--

Kari Nurmela,
	kari.nurmela@utu.fi, (02) 333 8847 / (0400) 786 547

Re: SegFault report with backtrace

Posted by ka...@suvi.kas.utu.fi.
> > Here is a simple Test.pm handler that causes segfaults in our server.
> By accident I discovered that the segfaults went away when I renamed
> the file!  At the time I was doing some work for a company in London,

Thanks for idea! I'm afraid that the segfault report may be affected by
the naming, but the original module that caused the error was not named as
Test.pm. What a coincidence if I picked the one problematic
naming; Kari, the Midas of Bugs...

Best wishes,

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001 karnurme@suvi.kas.utu.fi wrote:

> Here is a simple Test.pm handler that causes segfaults in our server.

Last year I had a Test.pm that caused segfaults too, on Solaris boxes.

By accident I discovered that the segfaults went away when I renamed
the file!  At the time I was doing some work for a company in London,
on a very tight schedule, so I never got the chance to investigate
further.  I sent a stack backtrace to Eric but we never got to the
bottom of it.

73,
Ged.