Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Steve Searles <ss...@zimcom.net> on 2014/06/11 16:42:03 UTC

Vmware Full Clones vs Linked Clones

Can someone speak about using Linked Clones vs Full Clones in a production CS environment?  What is the performance impact on the parent virtual machine? What type of density can be expected if all the child vm’s are performing read operations from the same snapshot of the parent VM? What are the dangers of using linked clones in this manner? What are the best practices from the CS community?

Steve Searles

Re: Vmware Full Clones vs Linked Clones

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 4:42 PM, Steve Searles <ss...@zimcom.net> wrote:

> Can someone speak about using Linked Clones vs Full Clones in a production
> CS environment?  What is the performance impact on the parent virtual
> machine? What type of density can be expected if all the child vm’s are
> performing read operations from the same snapshot of the parent VM? What
> are the dangers of using linked clones in this manner? What are the best
> practices from the CS community?

Never did any performance measurements, but I do recall that there were
more times I regretted to be using the feature than otherwise.

Unfortunately I don't recall why, as we've left VMWare with CloudStack and
are now running XenServer.

--
Erik Weber

Re: Vmware Full Clones vs Linked Clones

Posted by ilya musayev <il...@gmail.com>.
When the full clone feature was initially introduced, i asked if full
clone - can be per cluster or even per VM level. Unfortunately no-one
listened :(

These days, this inflexibility becomes very annoying. You can copy the
parent vmdk from another datastore or from secondary store - its just an
annoyance and downtime to end users.

Considering that 95% of work has already been done to support full
clones, extending it to a cluster level - should not be too hard. I will
kindly ask Citrix to consider putting it on the roadmap.

Posted by Steve Searles <ss...@zimcom.net>.

Posted by ilya musayev <il...@gmail.com>.