Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Eric N. Moyer" <EM...@LibraryTech.Com> on 2002/03/26 15:06:57 UTC

installing new Apache on RH Linux

I have installed Red Hat 7.2 on a computer, and during the RH setup I chose
"web server", which means I get a httpd directory under /etc, and scripts
for httpd in the rcN startup system (forgive me if I am being too
elementary, I am new to Linux).  The Apache ver installed with RH seems to
be 1.3.20, so I downloaded 1.3.24 and built and installed it, and now have
the new Apache under /usr/local/apache.

My question is, what is the best way to integrate the new Apache with the
RH system, particularly with regard to hooking it into the rc scripts so it
will start automatically?  I have thought of a couple ideas, but there must
be a "best" way, and I have no idea what that is.  I found only a very
little about startup scripts in the FAQs, and it did not help me.

Thanks.  -Eric

Regards,

Eric Moyer (EMoyer@LibraryTech.com)
Library Technologies, Inc.