Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Hartmut Bernecker <h....@dhw.de> on 2001/06/22 18:11:32 UTC

Transport Unicode with SOAP

Hi,

... hopefully to find an answer in that forum:

A problem seems to be that I want to transport Unicode with SOAP.

What is my objective?
==> Sending out Unicode Responses to an Web-Browser.

Where does the Unicode come from?
==> C++ Program (DCOM)

What is the Web-Application I use?
==> Java Framework (Apache-Jakarta-Struts) ==> therfore Servlets

How do I transport pieces of information from the C++ Application to the
Java-Webserver?
==> SOAP (using 4S4C and Apache SOAP 2.2 Client).

Now if I create (with TCHAR) a Unicode Sign within a String and request
it whith the SOAP-Client, then I can see in the SOAP-Protocol only a
"?". :-((

BTW: The Data are packed within a XML-Document (UTF-8). That Document is
transportet as one String via SOAP (UTF-8). Java Receives that
Questionmark that I say already in the SOAP-Protocol.
Arial Unicode Font is installed on every envolved machine.

Who knows a solution?
Who finds an notional error?
Who knows a piece of that puzzle?

Cheers
Hartmut

Re: Transport Unicode with SOAP

Posted by Simon Fell <so...@zaks.demon.co.uk>.
as the 4s4c end is based on COM, which is all unicode (on win32
anyway), the server side should return a real unicode string, and 4s4c
will transcode it down to UTF-8 at the transport level. You'll need
the latest version (1.3.3) of 4s4c for this to work properly.

Cheers
Simon

Posted by Simon Fell <so...@zaks.demon.co.uk>.