Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/05 20:27:47 UTC

Why would I choose JQuery?

I have an older T4 app that I'm going to upgrade to T5. It's not a
full RIA but nevertheless a fairly fancy, interactive web app with
drag & drop, ajax file uploads etc. The UI of the app was based on
Prototype and Dojo 0.4.3 which served me well at the time despite of
being a bit on the heavy side. I haven't really used JQuery in
production apps yet but I wouldn't mind switching but if I do, I don't
want to drag Prototype around with it. There are T5 integration libs
available both for a newer version of Dojo and for JQuery. It might be
marginally easier to adjust the existing Javascript for Dojo than
having to rewrite everything with JQuery but as said, I'm fine with
the cost. Performance always matters, so load times, execution
performance, ability to use CDN etc. all matter. I don't mind filing
an occasional issue, but I don't want to get sucked into seriously
having to debug and maintain another add-on library so I'd prefer
something relatively stable even if it didn't have all the latest
bells and whistles. Of ready-made components, only a good, skinnable,
customizable and extensible tab component is relevant to me. Now, why
would I choose JQuery over the other choices? I'd really love to hear
comments from people who've had experience of multiple Javascript
libraries and have made a switch to JQuery or perhaps gone the other
way.

Kalle

Re: Why would I choose JQuery?

Posted by Christophe Cordenier <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi !

2010/8/10 Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>

> Wrt jquery vs. others, i'd say jquery has won especially for your
> "everyday webapp", i.e.  the webapp that contains lots of html
> pages and mostly serves just that - html pages. Incidentally, i believe
> that that's where Tapestry is good at - creating the markup for those
> pages.
>
> On the other end, there's the "one-page webapps". Those mostly
> serve data in json or xml format and I believe jquery is not well
> suited for those (yet) - interestingly [1] was written today and deals
> with exactly this separation.
>
> To get back to Tapestry though, i tried today Robin's tapestry5-jquery
> after first upgrading it for 5.2 - see [2], [3]
>
> Some tests in [3] are failing but i was anxious to use it so i ported the
> tapestwitter app from prototype to jquery and it almost worked.

Great ! We plan to move wooki from prototype to full jQuery too, and then
improve T5.2 compatiblity of tapestry5-jquery

Thanks for all your feedbacks !

Cheers,
Christophe.

Christophe Cordenier.

Committer on Apache Tapestry 5
Co-creator of wooki @wookicentral.com

Re: Why would I choose JQuery?

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.
Wrt jquery vs. others, i'd say jquery has won especially for your
"everyday webapp", i.e.  the webapp that contains lots of html
pages and mostly serves just that - html pages. Incidentally, i believe
that that's where Tapestry is good at - creating the markup for those
pages.

On the other end, there's the "one-page webapps". Those mostly
serve data in json or xml format and I believe jquery is not well
suited for those (yet) - interestingly [1] was written today and deals
with exactly this separation.

To get back to Tapestry though, i tried today Robin's tapestry5-jquery
after first upgrading it for 5.2 - see [2], [3]

Some tests in [3] are failing but i was anxious to use it so i ported the
tapestwitter app from prototype to jquery and it almost worked. Both versions

Re: Why would I choose JQuery?

Posted by Ville Virtanen <vi...@cerion.fi>.

Re: Why would I choose JQuery?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Why would I choose JQuery?

Posted by Pierce Wetter <pi...@paceap.com>.

Re: Why would I choose JQuery?

Re: Why would I choose JQuery?

Posted by Chris Mylonas <ch...@mrvoip.com.au>.
Looks good!!  I vaguely remember reading that when I started tapestry development (yes I'm still new...)

Just to add a bit more noise to this topic:

I work here http://omnium.net.au and the learning CMS has an excellent administrative interface.  It was written two years ago by a few guys.  They chose prototype/scriptaculous - even though the admin interface is pretty schmick (good), they say that if they did it again they'd do it in jQuery.

That was enough for me - not being a js developer, I picked up jQuery In Action two weekends ago for a bit of a poke around.  Hence my "awesome contrib" statement earlier in this thread.

Drupal, a very popular PHP CMS includes jQuery as it's js library - http://drupal.org

I've also noticed in the java web world that number of books seems to be a popular metric, here are some quick stats from my searches:

Safari - O'Reilly:
jQuery, 218 results
Scriptaculous - 94 results

Amazon.com
jQuery - 184
Scriptaculous - 31

Packtpub
jQuery - 2 pages, i.e. more than 20
scriptaculous - 7

The creator of jQuery, John Resig works at Mozilla, so it's not going away either.

Enough from me!

Cheers
Chris

Re: Why would I choose JQuery?

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@tapestry.apache.org/msg16770.html

"I feel a gradual
move in that direction is the way towards eventually replacing
Prototype & Scriptaculous with jQuery, and making it possible to
cleanly support other JavaScript foundations."

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 15:32, Inge Solvoll <in...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If this is correct, that jQuery has around 40% market share and prototype
> around 9%, isn't it a major popularity drawback for T5 to be using
> prototype
> as its javascript core?
>
> Right now, potential new users could be thinking:
>
> "Hey, T5 uses an outdated, boring and poorly supported javascript
> framework.
> Why? Is it an outdated, boring and poorly supported framework itself`?".
>
> With jQuery in the core instead of prototype, it would be an entirely
> different story. One of the biggeste problems for T5 today is that it is
> considered alternative in many ways. Tiny (small user base), poorly
> supported, poorly documented, non-standard (not being Spring or JSF).
> Unfair
> in many ways, but considered true by many people. The community is making
> an
> effort these days to solve some of these issues (documentation, marketing),
> but it might actually be a bigger win to just integrate with very popular
> tools, and let their light reflect on us. jQuery being one of the shiniest
> and most logical ones to integrate with.
>

> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 1:58 AM, Chris Mylonas <ch...@mrvoip.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Awesome contrib!
> > I'll hopefully find some time to work with it this month - have you got
> any
> > publicly accessible demos of it in action?
> >
> > On 06/08/2010, at 4:46 AM, Robin Komiwes wrote:
> >
> > > I might be not objective since I'm in love with jQuery, but imho,
> > choosing
> > > jQuery over others will avoid you to have a *big* technical debt.
> > >
> > > You might be interested by this reading:
> > >
> http://royal.pingdom.com/2010/03/26/jquery-triumphant-march-to-success/
> > >
> > > For your tab component, what about this one:
> > http://jqueryui.com/demos/tabs/
> > > It's skinnable, customizable, and it should be easy to integrate it
> into
> > > tapestry5 (and to contribute it to
> > http://github.com/got5/tapestry5-jquery;))

Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: Why would I choose JQuery?

Posted by Inge Solvoll <in...@gmail.com>.

Re: Why would I choose JQuery?

Posted by Chris Mylonas <ch...@mrvoip.com.au>.
Awesome contrib!

Re: Why would I choose JQuery?

Posted by Robin Komiwes <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Why would I choose JQuery?

Posted by Ville Virtanen <vi...@cerion.fi>.
Hi,

there are several reasons:

1. It's widely in use and actively developed. Even endorsed by Microsoft.
 ("Microsoft now fully supports jQuery and distributes it with the ASP.NET
Model-View Controller (MVC) framework. Furthermore, extensions have been
deve..." source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd453033.aspx)
2. It is released much more frequently than Prototype - the fear that we're
using dying js stack is enough to convert..
3. Easier to find help (Bigger community, more books etc.)
4. More advanced

The last part of course is debatable. Strong commitment from big players
make it safe bet.

 - Ville