Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Flowering Weeds <fl...@hotmail.com> on 2009/03/07 21:06:39 UTC

[users@httpd] Real time thread tracking

Tracking real time threads.

Windows PowerShell (free and used by admins and within AD,
Exchange, IIS and etc.) is the Windows admin's automation
tool. One can use PowerShell for tracking Apache processes,
use httpd.exe, php, perl whatever. But for here one is using
notepad so all Windows users with Windows PowerShell can play
along.  The below is in a PowerShell console window (like cmd).

PS > notepad
PS > notepad
PS > $theProcesses = [System.Diagnostics.Process]::GetProcessesByName("notepad")
PS > $theProcesses

Handles  NPM(K)    PM(K)      WS(K) VM(M)   CPU(s)     Id ProcessName
-------  ------    -----      ----- -----   ------     -- -----------
     53       5     1904       8152    77     0.06   1944 notepad
     53       5     1896       8260    77     0.05   3400 notepad

PS > $theProcesses[0].Threads

BasePriority            : 8
CurrentPriority         : 10
Id                      : 2200
IdealProcessor          :
PriorityBoostEnabled    : True
PriorityLevel           : Normal
PrivilegedProcessorTime : 00:00:00.0312002
StartAddress            : 2009171824
StartTime               : 3/7/2009 1:07:54 PM
ThreadState             : Wait
TotalProcessorTime      : 00:00:00.0624004
UserProcessorTime       : 00:00:00.0312002
WaitReason              : UserRequest
ProcessorAffinity       :
Site                    :
Container               :

Notice the start time above, well try this

PS > $theProcesses[0].Threads[0].StartTime

Saturday, March 07, 2009 1:07:54 PM

Just keep repeating or automate this in a
name.ps1 file for current results!

Perhaps more later like TCP results, charting,
process stats (and what is needed?) examples!

Re: [users@httpd] Real time thread tracking

Posted by John Hudak <jj...@gmail.com>.
<missing out on some form of genie>

The Matix is real...'Flowering Weeds' is a cousin of Agent Smith....(who
possibly works for M$...lol)
Whew, I thought it was just me: "their mental processes are hard to
follow"...
Best advice...Ignore him I shall.

Posted by Brian Mearns <me...@gmail.com>.
<flame on>

I'm getting the distinct feeling that "flowering weeds" is dada-engine powered.

But at any rate, you obnoxious prig, this is not your personal web
forum for posting powershell tutorials. Start your own webpage if you
want to go on and on about all this crap since no one here has the
slightest interest in it.

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Flowering Weeds
<fl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > But not all Apache users, those with other OS systems
>> > but who have Windows and notepad around,
>> > well they can follow along without using Apache
>> > (or IIS7) too!

As with most of what you've written, this isn't an actual sentence, so
I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but if it's that we're not all
apache users here...well you'd be wrong. This is the *Apache user's
mailing list* so...yeh, we're all apache users.

> As for debugging with PowerShell look at these classes

No one asked or even mentioned debugging with PowerShell. In fact,
you're the only tool who's even talking about PowerShell.

You're being a total bummer, troll. And you're never going to find
much MS love on this list, so please do us all a favor and beat it. If
you ever actually have anything USEFUL about APACHE to contribute,
then please feel free to rejoin us.

<flame off>

Cheers all.

-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://pgp.mit.edu/

RE: [users@httpd] Real time thread tracking

Posted by Flowering Weeds <fl...@hotmail.com>.

> > But not all Apache users, those with other OS systems
> > but who have Windows and notepad around,
> > well they can follow along without using Apache
> > (or IIS7) too!
>
> I'm sure there are lots of Windows forums where that would be on-topic
> and welcomed, but it's off-topic and boreing us all to sleep here.

So real time threading done in any Apache OS system is off topic

Perhaps explain how Unix based OS do thread real time tracking!

Be sure to provide each thread actions (hundreds for Windows Apache).

Most people would rather walk but if you want to run with Windows

Apache actions then we can.  First one needs to explain all those

Windows Apache threads - much easier with simple Windows demos

right?

As for debugging with PowerShell look at these classes

System.Diagnostics Namespace ()
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.diagnostics.aspx

Krzysztof Cwalina : Tracing APIs in .NET Framework 2.0
http://blogs.msdn.com/kcwalina/archive/2005/09/20/TracingAPIs.aspx

WCF tracing is built on top of System.Diagnostics.
Tracing

Should one dump (thousands of lines) for each thread now

or would all rather see one from notepad?

So who wants to explain all those threads one by one now?

And do not forget Unix based information on each thread!

Re: [users@httpd] Real time thread tracking

Posted by John Hudak <jj...@gmail.com>.
Ditto...wish there was a way to put this moron on an iggy list....

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 7:34 PM, Francois Gingras <francois.gingras@gmail.com

Posted by Francois Gingras <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

RE: [users@httpd] Real time thread tracking

Posted by Flowering Weeds <fl...@hotmail.com>.

> > here one is using notepad
>
> Close call, you narrowly avoided an on-topic post by not even
> monitorin Apache.

No one teaches by the lowest common ideas!

Any admin can replace notepad by httpd.exe

But not all Apache users, those with other OS systems

but who have Windows and notepad around,

well they can follow along without using Apache

(or IIS7) too!

Once one learns to fish - catching all kinds can be later done!

> Can PowerShell give us backtraces of a running httpd?

Windows PowerShell is a .NET admin's automation tool

Automate what ever one does more than once!

Combine PowerShell with dump process programs,

or .NET tracking class information, then perhaps

data parse, perhaps by Log Parser, and then bingo!

All within .NET PowerShell.

What has one tried, with say a common Windows

process, so all can play along?  Have you seen

all those threads in Apache?  Track only what one

needs to track.  :)

So perhaps demo and ask away, someone will answer!

Re: [users@httpd] Real time thread tracking

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.