Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Isaac Shabtay <is...@netvision.net.il> on 2001/10/12 17:21:23 UTC

javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory

Hi,

javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory is supposed to search for the
factory implementation in some places.
The last place to look for is:

========= START QUOTE ==========
• Platform default DocumentBuilderFactory instance.

========= END QUOTE ==========

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if this line didn't appear in JAXP
specification, everyone could use sun's implementation for JAXP, right?
Nowadays, Apache has to write its own implementation to JAXP, in order to
hard-code our "platform default factory instance".

In my opinion, this option should be removed, and I consider writing Sun
about it. Do I miss anything? Is there any advantage in including this
option?

    - Isaac

Re: javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory

Posted by Edwin Goei <ed...@sun.com>.
Isaac Shabtay wrote:

> Hi,
>
> javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory is supposed to search for the
> factory implementation in some places.
> The last place to look for is:
>
> ========= START QUOTE ==========
> • Platform default DocumentBuilderFactory instance.
>
> ========= END QUOTE ==========
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but if this line didn't appear in JAXP
> specification, everyone could use sun's implementation for JAXP, right?
> Nowadays, Apache has to write its own implementation to JAXP, in order to
> hard-code our "platform default factory instance".

In general, the user can control which implementation is used as JAXP
provides for pluggable implementations.  One place for more info is the
doc http://www.apache.org/~edwingo/apache2001/talk-apachecon.pdf.  There
is slide on "changing the implementation".  Unfortunately, it's a PDF
doc.

-Edwin