Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David Talkington <dt...@u.washington.edu> on 2004/08/13 23:13:44 UTC

[users@httpd] proxy authentication problem

I've hit a brick wall trying to get apache to require authentication for
reverse-proxied content.  Reverse proxying works, and authentication
works; just not both together.

I'm using a port-based virtual host as a gateway.  (A simple directory
proxy didn't work, because the (proprietary) application being proxied
returns absolute document paths.)  This is what the declaration looks
like:

Listen 40011
<VirtualHost *:40011>
        # ssl setup
        SSLEngine on
        SSLCipherSuite
ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP:+eN
ULL
        SSLCertificateFile /etc/httpd/conf/storis.crt
        SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/httpd/conf/storis.key
        <Files ~ "\.(cgi|shtml|phtml|php3?)$">
                SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
        </Files>
        SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
         nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
         downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

        # proxy setup, using the main UW web server as an example
        ProxyPass / https://www.washington.edu/
        ProxyPassReverse / https://www.washington.edu/

	# Authentication setup.  I have also tried enclosing these
	# directives inside a <Proxy> or <Location> container,
	# with and without the proxy: prefix, with no luck.
       <Proxy *>
		# pubcookie used in this example, but basic auth won't
                # work either.
                AuthType basic
		AuthName "Very Secret"
		AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/user_file
                require user dtalk
       </Proxy>
</VirtualHost>

The above will proxy https://www.washington.edu, but won't require
authentication.  Basic auth does work on normal directories serverwide,
however, so I know that the correct modules are loaded and working.  If
I add a Deny line to the Proxy container, the server denies connections,
indicating that this block is being read, the * is being matched, and
the directives therein are being parsed.

What am I missing?

- -d

- --
David Talkington