Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> on 2008/07/14 08:44:22 UTC

java.nio.CharBuffer

I noticed that Andreas used CharBuffer in his initial patch for #45390.
I was curious about the performance implications, so I wrote a little
micro-benchmark. The results:

Sun Java 1.4.2_16:
StringBuffer def: 6594 ms
StringBuffer 1024: 6609 ms
CharBuffer: 5250 ms

Sun Java 1.5.0_14:
StringBuffer def: 5375 ms
StringBuffer 1024: 5375 ms
CharBuffer: 5594 ms

Sun Java 6.0_03:
StringBuffer def: 2750 ms
StringBuffer 1024: 2750 ms
CharBuffer: 4719 ms

Apache Harmony r618795:
StringBuffer def: 4687 ms
StringBuffer 1024: 4672 ms
CharBuffer: 7766 ms

So this is a single-threaded test. It might perform differently in a
heavy multi-threading environment. Anyway, it looks it doesn't make much
sense to use the CharBuffer instead of the more familiar StringBuffer
for simple string concatenation. I'm sure there's a benefit in using
CharBuffer in scenarios where nio can really show its muscles.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: java.nio.CharBuffer

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On Jul 15, 2008, at 09:16, Peter B. West wrote:

> Andreas Delmelle wrote:
>> <snip />
> Come 1.5, you get StringBuilder.

Yep, this indeed becomes /the/ weapon of choice for building strings
(in single-threaded context), if that's the goal.
For FOText, I don't think that is the goal. We're simply buffering
accumulating characters there, and in that case, a CharBuffer seems
much more appropriate (even in Java 1.5+).

Not sure what explains the drop in performance in Sun Java 1.6
though... For Harmony, I guess the implementation has not yet been
optimized. Understandable, especially if CharBuffer is not commonly
used.

Cheers

Andreas

Re: java.nio.CharBuffer

Posted by "Peter B. West" <li...@pbw.id.au>.

--
Peter B. West <http://cv.pbw.id.au/>
Folio <http://defoe.sourceforge.net/folio/>

Re: java.nio.CharBuffer

Re: java.nio.CharBuffer

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On Jul 14, 2008, at 08:44, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> I noticed that Andreas used CharBuffer in his initial patch for
> #45390.
> I was curious about the performance implications, so I wrote a little
> micro-benchmark. The results:
> <snip />
> So this is a single-threaded test. It might perform differently in a
> heavy multi-threading environment. Anyway, it looks it doesn't make
> much
> sense to use the CharBuffer instead of the more familiar StringBuffer
> for simple string concatenation. I'm sure there's a benefit in using
> CharBuffer in scenarios where nio can really show its muscles.

Yeah, it was OK for FOText, I think, but for the smaller portions,
it's probably more overkill...
I'll look into replacing what's unnecessary.

nio.CharBuffer is very suitable if there's a lot of bulk get() and put
() (like when removing leading white-space characters)

While implementing it in FOText, I noticed that if you use
CharBuffer.wrap(), you actually don't even create a new char array.
You get a CharBuffer instance that is literally wrapped around a
portion of the parameter char array).
Unfortunately, this caused issues when I started shifting characters
due to white-space-removal (as the char array was the very same one
that the parser was using to store the chars from the source XML)

I did a small test myself, before committing the changes, but that
was more focused on CharSequence.charAt() and the difference in
timing with simple index-based array fetches (for TextLayoutManager).
In that case, the difference was really negligeable, even for
millions of calls/fetches, I only got a few milliseconds difference
in total.

Cheers

Andreas