Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Ron Cain <rc...@synchronnetworks.com> on 2001/10/26 16:41:57 UTC

ConsoleAppender

This must be a commonly asked question, but
I can't find the answer in the usual places
(FAQ, docs, etc.).

My program is using Log4J 1.1.3 and when I make
this initial call:

	DOMConfigurator.configure(fileName);

I get these 2 warning messages.  Tracing into Log4J
looks like they are being logged as part of the
setup process, before parsing my XML file.

> log4j:WARN File option not set for appender [STDOUT].
> log4j:WARN Are you using FileAppender instead of ConsoleAppender?

Sorry if this question is answered elsewhere, but
I'd appreciate a tip on what I have to do before
calling the configure method to suppress this.

And why doesn't FileAppender statically initialize
to System.out unless told otherwise?

Thanks,

... ron cain
rcain@synchronnetworks.com)

Re: ConsoleAppender

Posted by frannack <fr...@hotmail.com>.
Hi

It looks like you used a FileAppender instead of a ConsoleAppender in your
XML file.
You cannot use FileAppender to output your log on the Console.

Franck

Re: ConsoleAppender

Posted by Don Taylor <do...@yahoo.com>.
The error message said it all. If you want to log to stdout then use
the ConsoleAppender, *not* the FileAppender.

-- Don