Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Gianluca Bosco <g....@bitache.net> on 2004/10/02 22:47:15 UTC

[users@httpd] apache runs with a negative GID: what does it mean?

My httpd.conf contains the following line:

Group #-1

As far as I understand, this directive instruct Apache to run with a
group ID of "-1".

Is it correct? Does the "-1" GID have a particular meaning? What can you
tell me about that?

I didn't know GID could have negative values.

Thank you!

-Gian

Re: [users@httpd] apache runs with a negative GID: what does it mean?

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 22:47:15 +0200, Gianluca Bosco <g....@bitache.net> wrote:
> My httpd.conf contains the following line:
>
> Group #-1
>
> As far as I understand, this directive instruct Apache to run with a
> group ID of "-1".
>
> Is it correct? Does the "-1" GID have a particular meaning? What can you
> tell me about that?
>
> I didn't know GID could have negative values.

Most unix systems let the group id wrap, so that "-1" is equivalent to
the highest-possible group id.  This, in turn, is usually a
non-privileged group.

If you don't like this, simply replace it with a valid group for your system.

Joshua.