Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Michael Watson <mb...@castlegate-tech.co.uk> on 2002/04/22 23:34:36 UTC

Sequencer Class bugs

I have been attempting to use the sequencer class, and have come across the
following bugs:

1. The sequencer remove() method fails causing an exception and terminates
without removing the appropriate information.  Detailed investigation
indicates
that the sequencer is attempting to remove a <sequence> node from the system
object XML, but this node is actually embedded in a <sequences> node, e.g.:
<sequences>
    <sequence name='fred'>...</sequence>
    <sequence name='bert'>...</sequence>
</sequences>
as a consequence of looking in the wrong place, the remove fails to find the
correct
node to remove.

2. I was attempting to use the reset() method, but could not get it to
accept my invocation, e.g.:
Sequencer?name='fred'&value='0'

Detailed debugging of xindice shows that value is required to be a long and
so the
type conversion routine becomes confused by the quotes around the value.
Therefore,
this could be fixed by using a invocation such as:
Sequencer?name='fred'&value=0

Whilst, I can now see how to make this work (and have done so!) I think
(from a user perspective)
that my original invocation is perfectly reasonable. Xindice should be able
to cope with
quoted values.

Observation:
Whilst debugging these problems, I found the Xindice fault reporting leaves
a lot to be
desired.  It could be more forthcoming about the nature of the problems it
is encountering.
Ideally, there fault codes need to be greatly expanded to pinpoint problems.
What I have done in the interim is to add some debugging statements on the
server side so that exceptions are reported just below the Corba interface.
It should be possible to add a debugging
capability on the server side which can be controlled at server startup.

Regards,

Michael Watson