Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Matthias Müller <py...@yahoo.de> on 2010/11/12 11:16:04 UTC

[C2.2] Fop Performance Issue with large documents

Hi there,
i ran into massive performance problems using Fop serializing large FO files
(PDFs with 500+ pages).

It takes up to 30 minutes for a single PDF and needs a lot of memory and cpu
power.
If i do the processing locally (no Cocoon but fop.bat), it takes about 2
minutes.
I know that FOP is not performant with large documents, but i only face that
when running inside Cocoon.

Is this a configuration issue?
Are there alternatives to FOP/Cocoon?
How do you process large xml based documents to pdf?
At the moment i still use Fop 0.20.5, what about the performance with Fop 1.0?

Matthias

Re: AW: [C2.2] Fop Performance Issue with large documents

Posted by Jos Snellings <Jo...@pandora.be>.
Off-line would be:  with fop.bat, generating static files.

The alternative is more expensive:  write a cocoon serializer based on
iText.
But is that a guarantee for absolutely big performance? not sure. just a
good guess.
XSLT transformations may well defeat the purpose of using SAX, as they
hold a lot of context in memory,

Maybe somebody out there has hands-on experience? Helloooo. Some good
advice here?

Cheers,
Jos

Posted by Jos Snellings <Jo...@pandora.be>.