Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tomcat Novice <to...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/11 04:08:16 UTC

Tomcat 5.5 Thread Dump Questions

Hi,

I am new to Tomcat and would like ask a question regarding Thread Dumps.

My Environment all running in 1 server:

Tomcat 5.5 (running as Windows service) Total of 4 Tomcat instances load
balanced.
Windows 2003 64 bit
IIS 6.0 64 Bit

My question is, I would like to get thread dumps from the individual Tomcat
instances. I know that if I run Tomcat using command line, I should just
press Control+Esc on the CMD Window. Since its running as a service, can I
do a thread dump without stopping the current service and running the
instance on the command line?

I have seen tomcat logs folder and there are a lot of log files. Which log
file can I use/check to see the thread dumps? The environment just
implements a basic 5.5 configuration. Which logs file would be beneficial in
case I need to trobleshoot crashing instances and how do I configure them?

Regards,

Tomcat Novice

Re: Tomcat 5.5 Thread Dump Questions

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Tomcat 5.5 Thread Dump Questions

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Tomcat Novice [mailto:tomcat.novice@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat 5.5 Thread Dump Questions
>
> My environment is using jdk 1.5.

The simplest thing to do is move to 1.6 (note that Sun stopped support of 1.5 some months ago, unless you want to pay for it).  You can also use JConsole to extract stack dumps, or use ctrl-break to trigger one in the command window.

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat 5.5 Thread Dump Questions

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 12/03/2010 15:57, Tomcat Novice wrote:
> Can anyone else offer more suggestions? jstack is not available on windows
> that i why I could not find it. My environment is using jdk 1.5.

Java 5 is no longer being updated. It reached EOL last year. You need to
upgrade.

Mark

Re: Tomcat 5.5 Thread Dump Questions

Posted by Tomcat Novice <to...@gmail.com>.
Can anyone else offer more suggestions? jstack is not available on windows
that i why I could not find it. My environment is using jdk 1.5.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Tomcat Novice <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion but I cant find jstack anywhere on my tomcat
or jdk instance. Any other solution available?

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Caldarale, Charles R <

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.