Posted to user@struts.apache.org by David Rothschadl <da...@salserompls.com> on 2002/12/12 18:18:44 UTC

Using HTML frames in Struts

Hello,

Is there anybody who has used frames within the Struts framework? Our frame set-up, which worked fine in our non-Struts HTML pages, is not working with Struts. Any working examples would be greatly appreciated!

David Rothschadl

Re: Using HTML frames in Struts

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 6:25 PM +0100 2002/12/12, Mark wrote:
>David
>
>I'm developing a webapplication using struts and it has frames..
>
>Other than
>
><frame src=<html:rewrite href="mypath"/>" />

There's an <html:frame> tag that does that rewriting for you.

>To pass the session through for paranoid people who thing cookies can take
>over your mind. But no other problems..

Using struts to rewrite your URLs also allows you to avoid hardcoding
the application context path into your pages, which helps
portability.  It also does some URL filtering to save you the trouble.

Joe
* Joe Germuska    { joe@germuska.com }
"It's pitiful, sometimes, if they've got it bad. Their eyes get
glazed, they go white, their hands tremble.... As I watch them I
often feel that a dope peddler is a gentleman compared with the man
who sells records."
	--Sam Goody, 1956

Re: Using HTML frames in Struts

Posted by Mark <ma...@libero.it>.
David

I'm developing a webapplication using struts and it has frames..

Other than

<frame src=<html:rewrite href="mypath"/>" />

To pass the session through for paranoid people who thing cookies can take
over your mind. But no other problems..

Cheers

mark

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, David Rothschadl wrote:

> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:18:44 -0800 (PST)
> From: David Rothschadl <da...@salserompls.com>
> Subject: Using HTML frames in Struts
>

> Hello,
>
> Is there anybody who has used frames within the Struts framework? Our
> frame set-up, which worked fine in our non-Struts HTML pages, is not
> working with Struts. Any working examples would be greatly appreciated!
>
> David Rothschadl

The admin app in Tomcat 4.1.x (based on Struts 1.0.2) uses frames.
Sources are in the jakarta-tomcat-4.0 source distribution, under
"webapps/admin".

Craig

Re: Using HTML frames in Struts

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 10:02 AM -0800 2002/12/12, David Rothschadl wrote:
>Here is the code in one of my frames that is not showing up when I
>check it in a browser. I can't even make the word Menu appear...Any
>ideas as to why it is not working?

Can you load the page itself correctly, outside of a frameset?  I
can't think of any reason it would behave differently in a frameset.
You do sometimes have synchronization issues to consider when writing
an app which uses frames, which is a very good argument against
designing with frames.

Also, note that JSP taglib element names are case-sensitive.  At the
bottom you have </HTML:LINK> and </HTML:HTML>, which are not valid
closing tags for <html:link> and <html:html>.  I wouldn't be
surprised if that's a big part of your problem.

Tiles is probably a better way to avoid duplicating navigation code
between pages, unless you have a strict requirement that the
navigation stay on screen when a user scrolls down.  Better to design
the application to have a minimum of scrolling, though.  Frames are
an eternal source of headaches in my experience.

Joe