Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jamie Johnson <je...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/10 19:49:29 UTC

Building a heat map from geo data in index

I had a request from a customer which to this point I have not seen
much similar so I figured I'd pose the question here.  I've been asked
if it was possible to build a heat map from the results of a query.  I
can imagine a process to do this through some post processing, but
that sounds very expensive for large/distributed indices so I was
wondering if with all of the new geospatial support that is being
added to lucene/solr there was a way to do geospatial faceting.  What
I am imagining is bounding box being defined and that box being broken
into an N by N matrix, each of which would return counts so a heat map
could be constructed.  Any other thoughts on this would be greatly
appreciated, right now I am really just fishing for some ideas.

Re: Building a heat map from geo data in index

Posted by Jamie Johnson <je...@gmail.com>.
So I've tried this a bit, but I can't get it to look quite right.
What I was doing up until now was taking the center point of the
geohash cell as location for the value I am getting from the index.
Doing this you end up with what appears to be islands (using
HeatMap.js currently).  I guess what I would like to do is take this
information and generate a static image so I can quickly prototype
some things.  Are there any good Java based heatmap tools?  Also if
anyone has done this before any thoughts on how to do this would
really be appreciated.

Posted by Jamie Johnson <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tanguy Moal <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jamie Johnson <je...@gmail.com>.