Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by faria hassan <fa...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/04 02:39:23 UTC

jboss/tomcat on linux: request times out for client over VPN

Hi,
I'm running jboss3.2.5/tomcat5 on linux 2.6.9-1.667, with default
configurations. When clients request web pages (static HTML) normally
(without being behind a proxy), there's no problem. If the request is made
over VPN, it times out. I have tried with small files (<4k) and very simple
HTML (no CSS or JS links) and that works fine. However, anything bigger
(like 40k gif) times out.
 Any suggestions?
Thanks
Faria

Re: jboss/tomcat on linux: request times out for client over VPN

Posted by faria hassan <fa...@gmail.com>.
that is not the issue here. After further research, I have found that
anything over 1k is timing out. I can go to other websites, download megs of
data without problem.
I also ran tcpdump on the server. I see that the vpn client is requesting
over HTTP/1.0. According to release notes, Coyote is supposed to send back
in Http/1.0. I see the following happening:
Coyote sends the first few bytes, closes connection, but without waiting for
a response back from the client, it sends more bytes until the whole data is
sent. Is this the normal behavior?
FYI, I have tried setting "protocol=Http/1.0" in server.xml: Tomcat gave a
NullPointerException.
Thanks
Faria

Posted by Steve Dodge <st...@robododge.com>.
It depends on how your VPN is setup.  I know my company starts
throttling back my bandwidth when I try to transfer a file greater than
2 meg.  The first 2 megs go through ok, but they tar-pit me after that
so the remaining transfer can take forever.