Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Doug MacEachern <do...@telebusiness.co.nz> on 1998/01/04 22:29:33 UTC

httpd -MApache::httpd_conf

At the moment, I can configure my httpd with nothing but this in
httpd.conf:

PerlModule Apache::httpd_conf

But, I still have to tell httpd where httpd.conf is located, which
really sucks since Perl can find
Apache/httpd_conf.pm on it's own.  With the patch below, mod_perl users
can simply start the server with 'httpd -MApache::httpd_conf'.  `-M' is
also a Perl switch that pulls in Perl modules.  Lots of folks are using
Perl to configure httpd these days, I'm sure this switch will prove
valuable.  In my case, we're shipping an apache/mod_perl based product
which we'd like to have configure itself 100%.  Having to use -d or -f
switches eats away at that percentage considerably.  What do you think?

-Doug

Re: httpd -MApache::httpd_conf

Posted by Randy Terbush <ra...@covalent.net>.
+1

Re: httpd -MApache::httpd_conf

Posted by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com>.
On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

> I am concerned about adding too many things to Apache that are only for
> 3rd party software, no matter how good.

Fairy nuff, but mod_perl isn't 3rd party software. It's
part of the Apache project and has been for some time now.

Re: httpd -MApache::httpd_conf

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Doug MacEachern wrote:

> Sorry, I can't tell anymore if Apache+mod_perl  is Perl inside of Apache or Apache
> inside of Perl ;-)

You perl weenies scare me.

Dean

Re: httpd -MApache::httpd_conf

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@telebusiness.co.nz>.
Ben Laurie wrote:

> Doug MacEachern wrote:
> >
> > Ben Laurie wrote:

> > > I still suspect that there should be a "post config file read" version,
> > > too. Also -M doesn't make that much sense. Perhaps -C and -c (for
> > > pre-config and post-config)?
> >
> > Yes, great idea Ben!
> >
> > httpd -CPerlModule=Apache::httpd_conf would do just fine.  I'll see about
> > implementing it later on tonight and send a patch if I get it going.
>
> You mean:
>
> httpd -C "PerlModule Apache::httpd_conf"
>
> I hope!

Yup!   'twas brain mush.  Thinking of the Perl-ish syntax: perl
-MSomeModule=function

Re: httpd -MApache::httpd_conf

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Doug MacEachern wrote:

> Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > Dean Gaudet wrote:

> > > I like this one a lot more.  Doug can you get by with something like this?
> >
> > I still suspect that there should be a "post config file read" version,
> > too. Also -M doesn't make that much sense. Perhaps -C and -c (for
> > pre-config and post-config)?
>
> Yes, great idea Ben!
>
> httpd -CPerlModule=Apache::httpd_conf would do just fine.  I'll see about
> implementing it later on tonight and send a patch if I get it going.

You mean:

httpd -C "PerlModule Apache::httpd_conf"

I hope!

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: httpd -MApache::httpd_conf

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@telebusiness.co.nz>.

Re: httpd -MApache::httpd_conf

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Re: httpd -MApache::httpd_conf

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

Re: httpd -MApache::httpd_conf

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Ben Laurie wrote:

> Dean Gaudet wrote:
> >
> > Yeah I wouldn't mind if we had a generic interface for this... if someone
> > can think of one that'd be great.
>
> httpd -M <module name>=<module option>
>
> Obviously, this can only apply to staticly linked modules.

Actually, we could have two variants, one pre-config, one post-config.

Come to think of it, even more flexible is:

Re: httpd -MApache::httpd_conf

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Re: httpd -MApache::httpd_conf

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.