Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2004/07/16 03:32:04 UTC

stale function ap_error_log2stderr

Does anybody use that function? I can't see any uses of it in the core
code. If not, shouldn't it be removed?

/**
  * Convert stderr to the error log
  * @param s The current server
  * @deffunc void ap_error_log2stderr(server_rec *s)
  */
AP_DECLARE(void) ap_error_log2stderr(server_rec *s);

Re: stale function ap_error_log2stderr

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:32:04 -0700, Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> wrote:
> Does anybody use that function? I can't see any uses of it in the core
> code. If not, shouldn't it be removed?

I found a description of its use in a 1.3 module at

http://www.kuzbass.ru:8086/docs/apache_c_mod_perl/164.htm

That example showed ap_error_log2stderr() as a small part of a fairly
convoluted way of creating a child process which is no longer
applicable with the APIs provided with APR.

I think the required assumptions are simply:

. helper APIs provided by 2.x are designed for modules which use APR
features as appropriate (if there is a reasonable APR way to do
something then httpd won't provide alternatives)
. APR provides the ability to have the child process use same error
handle as parent
. 2.x error handle refers to the error log during any processing
phases where modules would create child processes

Any further comments from the crowd?  It looks to me that it can be
yanked from 2.1-dev.