Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Matt Sicker <ma...@apache.org> on 2017/04/08 16:53:32 UTC

[ANN] Log4j 2.8.2 released

The Apache Log4j 2 team is pleased to announce the Log4j 2.8.2 release!

Apache Log4j is a well known framework for logging application behavior.
Log4j 2 is an upgrade to Log4j that provides significant improvements over
its predecessor, Log4j 1.x, and provides many other modern features such as
support for Markers, lambda expressions for lazy logging, property
substitution using Lookups, multiple patterns on a PatternLayout and
asynchronous Loggers. Another notable Log4j 2 feature is the ability to be
"garbage-free" (avoid allocating temporary objects) while logging. In
addition, Log4j 2 will not lose events while reconfiguring.

This release primarily contains bugfixes and minor enhancements. More
details on the new features and fixes are itemized below.

Note that subsequent to the 2.6 release a minor source incompatibility was
found due to the addition of new methods to the Logger interface. If you
have code that does:

logger.error(null, “This is the log message”, throwable);

or similar with any log level you will get a compiler error saying the
reference is ambiguous. To correct this either do:

logger.error(“This is the log message”, throwable);

or

logger.error((Marker) null, “This is the log message”, throwable);

The Log4j 2.8.2 API, as well as many core components, maintains binary
compatibility with previous releases.
<https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/blob/master/RELEASE-NOTES.md#ga-release-282>GA
Release 2.8.2

Changes in this version include:
<https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/blob/master/RELEASE-NOTES.md#new-features>New
Features

   - LOG4J2-1863 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1863>: Add
   support for filtering input in TcpSocketServer and UdpSocketServer.
   - LOG4J2-1848 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1848>: Add
   JSON encoding support to EncodingPatternConverter %encode{}.
   - LOG4J2-1843 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1843>: Add
   support for appending common suffix to each line of throwable stack trace.
   Thanks to Zilong Song.
   - LOG4J2-1838 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1838>: Add
   support for appending common suffix to each line of extended and root
   throwable stack trace. Thanks to Zilong Song.

<https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/blob/master/RELEASE-NOTES.md#fixed-bugs>Fixed
Bugs

   - LOG4J2-1861 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1861>: Fix
   JavaDoc on org.apache.logging.log4j.ThreadContext about inheritance.
   - LOG4J2-1862 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1862>: Fix
   JavaDoc about @Order and OrderComparator ordering. Thanks to wangyuntao.
   - LOG4J2-1849 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1849>: Fixed
   daylight savings time issue with FixedDateFormat.
   - LOG4J2-1850 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1850>: Fix
   CassandraRule and unit tests on Windows. Thanks to Ludovic Hochet.
   - LOG4J2-1840 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1840>: Fix
   typo in %replace converter documentation. Thanks to Pradeep Balasundaram.
   - LOG4J2-1846 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1846>:
   Handle when LogEvent.getLoggerName() returns null in
   LoggerNameLevelRewritePolicy.
   - LOG4J2-1845 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1845>:
   Handle when LogEvent.getLoggerName() returns null in KafkaAppender.
   - LOG4J2-1853 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1853>: The
   default value of RandomAccessFileAppender.Builder append field is wrong.
   Thanks to wangyuntao.
   - LOG4J2-1835 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1835>: Fix
   documentation about the licensing for JeroMQ.
   - LOG4J2-1836 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1836>:
   Update the API version to 2.6.0.
   - LOG4J2-1831 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1831>:
   NullPointerException in HtmlLayout. Thanks to Edward Serebrinskiy.
   - LOG4J2-1820 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1820>: Log4j
   2.8 can lose exceptions when a security manager is present. Thanks to Jason
   Tedor.

<https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/blob/master/RELEASE-NOTES.md#changes>
Changes

   - LOG4J2-1827 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1827>: Move
   integration tests to their own module to speed up build.
   - LOG4J2-1856 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1856>:
   Update Jackson from 2.8.6 to 2.8.7.

------------------------------

Apache Log4j 2.8.2 requires a minimum of Java 7 to build and run. Log4j 2.3
was the last release that supported Java 6.

Basic compatibility with Log4j 1.x is provided through the log4j-1.2-api
component, however it does not implement some of the very implementation
specific classes and methods. The package names and Maven groupId have been
changed to org.apache.logging.log4j to avoid any conflicts with log4j 1.x.

For complete information on Apache Log4j 2, including instructions on how
to submit bug reports, patches, or suggestions for improvement, see the
Apache Apache Log4j 2 website:

https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/

Log4j logo

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
BTW - When I have been doing releases I believe I have always chosen ones where the “cup” and “steam” varied in color but everything else stays the same. For some reason I just don’t like the look of the others. I would prefer if we could continue doing that as it give consistency to the logo.  At some point we also may start reusing logo images, although it isn’t that hard to create new ones.

Ralph

Re: [ANN] Log4j 2.8.2 released

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Yup - it updated after I cleared my cache.

Re: [ANN] Log4j 2.8.2 released

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: [ANN] Log4j 2.8.2 released

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.