Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Swapnonil Mukherjee <Sw...@gettyimages.com> on 2010/10/25 15:41:50 UTC

How to use AND as opposed to OR as the default query operator.

Hi Everybody,

I simply want to use AND as the default operator in queries. When a user searches for Jennifer Lopez solr converts this to a Jennifer OR Lopez query. On the other hand I want solr to treat this query as Jennifer AND Lopez and not as Jennifer OR Lopez.

In other words I want a default AND behavior in phrase queries instead of OR.

I have seen in this presentation http://www.slideshare.net/pittaya/using-apache-solr on Slide number 52 that this OR behavior is configurable.

Could you please tell me where this configuration is located? I could not locate it in schema.xml.

Swapnonil Mukherjee
+91-40092712
+91-9007131999

Re: How to use AND as opposed to OR as the default query operator.

Posted by Jonathan Rochkind <ro...@jhu.edu>.
However, for user entered queries, I suggest you take a look at dismax,
a lot more suitable for user-entered queries than the standard
solr-lucene query parsers.

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.

--
Markus Jelsma - CTO - Openindex
http://www.linkedin.com/in/markus17

Re: How to use AND as opposed to OR as the default query operator.

Posted by Swapnonil Mukherjee <Sw...@gettyimages.com>.
Hi Pradeep,

I am using the standard query parser. I made the changes in schema.xml and it works.
It is also good to know that this can done on a per query basis as well.

Swapnonil Mukherjee

Posted by Pradeep Singh <pk...@gmail.com>.