Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Kent Spaulding <ke...@iotabits.com> on 2009/01/30 20:47:03 UTC

Derby 10.4.2 and eclipse 3.4.1 (Ganymede)

Hi,

I've been trying to get Derby working with eclipse 3.4.1, aka Ganymede.

I followed the instructions on the derby site, unzipping and copying
the files to the ECLIPSE_HOME/plugins dir:

plugins/org.apache.derby.core_10.4.2
plugins/org.apache.derby.ui_1.1.2
plugins/org.apache.derby.plugin.doc_1.1.2

For this version of eclipse, there is already a Derby core in the
plugins dir:

org.apache.derby.core_10.3.1.4:
META-INF    about_files    derby.jar
about.html    asl-v20.txt    plugin.xml

The eclipse update manager does not report it as installed, oddly
enough.  However, it does get picked up.

When I restart eclipse, the Derby UI and docs are available, but it is
picking up the 10.3.1.4 version of the core, because only derby.jar is
available.

I know this because when I run ij from eclipse I get:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/
derby/tools/ij

on the console window.

That tool is in derbytools.jar, which is not in the 10.3.1.4 core
plugin dir.

If I delete the org.apache.derby.core_10.3.1.4 dir, and restart,
10.4.2 is still not picked up.

Something is wrong with the plugin for 10.4.2 for eclipse 3.4.1.

Has anyone seen this before?  Got a fix?

Thanks,
--Kent

Re: Derby 10.4.2 and eclipse 3.4.1 (Ganymede)

Posted by Kent Spaulding <ke...@iotabits.com>.
Ah, I wasn't aware of -clean, so I've given that a try.  It still
doesn't work.

However, the log states:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.update.configurator 4 0 2009-01-30 11:52:14.886
!MESSAGE Plugin does not have a valid identifier: plugins/
org.apache.derby.core_10.4.2/

!ENTRY org.eclipse.update.configurator 4 0 2009-01-30 11:52:14.886
!MESSAGE Plugin does not have a valid version: plugins/
org.apache.derby.core_10.4.2/

So I'll have a look at the plugin.xml file...

As an note for the list - I'm running this on OS X 10.5.6, and the way
to -clean eclipse is:

1) Open Terminal
2) cd /Applications/eclipse
   Assuming you installed there.
3) ./eclipse -clean
   This will add the cmdline arguments to the contents of /
Applications/eclipse/eclipse.app/eclipse.ini when starting the program.

Posted by Kent Spaulding <ke...@iotabits.com>.
One more time, since apparently I can't read dates in logs very
well... those log messages were from when I was last messing around
with this.

I redid all of this, and the plugin.xml that is shipped with derby
1.4.2.0 core is fine.

Next, from the logs it appears the business intelligence and reporting
tool (BIRT) from the eclipse foundation in 3.4.1 has .jar files
packaged on-board that confilct with the derby 1.4.2.0 ui plugin, and
I suspect they also want to the see the 1.3 version of core.

In short, when using the BIRT-enabled version of eclipse, you can't
just drop new Derby plugins into the directory. :-(

So I'll press on with the more basic toolset - no worries.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

--Kent

Posted by Kent Spaulding <ke...@iotabits.com>.
I'm going to top-post:

I used the eclipse classic and then added the JEE version, since I
wanted to use BIRT.

So, I suppose the answer is "Yes."

--Kent

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.