Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org> on 2010/02/24 00:53:30 UTC

[VOTE] Avro release 1.3.0 (rc 2)

I have created a third candidate build for Avro release 1.3.0.

Please download, test, and vote by 26 February.

http://people.apache.org/~cutting/avro-1.3.0-rc2/

Thanks,

Doug

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.3.0 (rc 2)

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.
+1

I checked the signature and checksums for the source package, and ran
the tests on Mac OS 10.5.8.

Cheers,
Tom

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.3.0 (rc 2)

Posted by Matt Massie <ma...@cloudera.com>.
+1 for this release candidate:

* avro-doc has correct C documentation
* md5 signature file is correct for avro-c
* avro-c 'make distcheck' succeeds on MacOS X and Linux
* no '.svn' directories in the avro-c tarball anymore

-Matt

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.3.0 (rc 2)

Posted by Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>.
+1, Looks good to me.
Deployed java artifacts to a maven repository and integrated into build system successfully.  All application tests using Avro pass.  Maven source and javadoc artifacts are automatically detected by Eclipse + M2Eclipse.

Spec looks fine other than the minor detail mentioned previously.  Quick doc scan looks ok.

-Scott

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.3.0 (rc 2)

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.3.0 (rc 2)

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
+1 from me.

With three +1 votes from PMC members, and no -1 votes, this passes.

I'll publish this release and announce it Monday.

Thanks!

Doug

RE: [VOTE] Avro release 1.3.0 (rc 2)

Posted by "Thiruvalluvan M. G." <th...@yahoo.com>.
+1

I successfully tested with Cygwin for Java, C++. I couldn't build py and c
(and tools part of Java), but we can address them post 1.3.

Thanks

Thiru

Posted by Scott Banachowski <sb...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Thanks Matt.  It seems to work now.  I figured I was missing something.

BTW, the tests seem anti-climatic after they're all over.  It'd be nice if
the build.sh script printed out a big "Success!"  message at the end if
everything passed.  Maybe for 1.4?

Scott

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.3.0 (rc 2)

Posted by Matt Massie <ma...@cloudera.com>.
Scott-

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.3.0 (rc 2)

Posted by Matt Massie <ma...@cloudera.com>.
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org> wrote:

> Matt Massie wrote:
>
>> Part of creating a distributable artifact that is guaranteed to work with
>> simple './configure;make' is building the code and running all the unit
>> tests inside the newly generated package.
>>

> That was not my intent for the 'dist' target.  The 'dist' target is meant
> to only generate artifacts for distribution.  One should run tests before
> one distributes, but the 'dist' target should not itself run those tests.

Running the tests inside the build directory and running the tests inside
the newly generated package/tarball are two different things.  It's possible
for unit tests to pass in the source directory and fail when generating the
distributable tarball (e.g. failed to include a source file in the
manifest).  The tests are not just testing source.  They are testing
building the source in a particular build environment/ directory structure.

Currently running 'make clean distcheck' takes 47 secs on my Macbook.
 That's a small price to pay for piece of mind in my opinion.

-Matt

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.3.0 (rc 2)

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.3.0 (rc 2)

Posted by Matt Massie <ma...@cloudera.com>.
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org> wrote:

> Scott Banachowski wrote:
>
>> "build.sh test" seems to fail for interop tests, but I suspect it's my
>> environment and haven't had a chance to investigate why.  I assume others
>> would have flagged this otherwise.
>>

> What environment?  How did they fail?
>

>  I also notice that the interop tests run the whole configure/build chain
>> for
>> C again (instead of re-using the build that was created from the previous
>> unit tests).  Is that intentional?
>>

> That should probably be avoided.

I can optimize this in future releases.  I opted for the simpler/paranoid
approach.  It important to make the interop tests fast and easy to use since
we'll use them often in development and interop is critical.  Sorry for a
current overhead.

> The 'dist' target also seems to run some tests, when it doesn't need to.
>  So the build could certainly be streamlined.

Part of creating a distributable artifact that is guaranteed to work with a
simple './configure;make' is building the code and running all the unit
tests inside the newly generated package.  This cost is paid up front when
we generate the artifact so I don't see it as a problem.  Consumers of Avro
C will benefit from it immensely.

-Matt

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.3.0 (rc 2)

Posted by Scott Banachowski <sb...@yahoo-inc.com>.