Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@wkwyw.net> on 2003/12/28 14:36:41 UTC

Document-v20 class attribute

I am just looking over the Document-v20.dtd in order to add the class
attribute to a wider range of elements. I just want to confirm the
elements it should be added to, my suggestions are:

Links (a, jump, fork)
section
source
table (tr, td, th)
Lists (ul, ol, li, dl, dt, dd)
figure
note
warning
fixme
icon

Any problems with this list (for my use case as discussed in the "role
attribute" thread) I currently only need links and sections to have a
class, however, I can imagine a need arising for the others over time.

Ross

Re: Document-v20 class attribute

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@wkwyw.net>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> I am just looking over the Document-v20.dtd in order to add the class
>> attribute to a wider range of elements. I just want to confirm the
>> elements it should be added to, my suggestions are:

<snip/>

> Look at the xhtml2 documents, and add class attributes as they do.
> IIRC we should put them everywhere.

Just looking at this, and you are correct, they go everywhere.

> In any case we should also decide to start moving nearer to xhtml2, and
> this means for example to change
>
>   <note></note>

> I'm tabling this because as you can see adding a class attribute to
> <note> could create problems when we switch to <p class="note">.

Yes good point, I'm just writing a mail about problems with the DTD with
respect to XHTML2 (jump, fork and a for example)

> I suggest you to look in the archives for the threads about XHTML2,
> where I made a detailed comparison between DTDs so you can see what to
> change together with the class attribute thing.

+1

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

> I am just looking over the Document-v20.dtd in order to add the class
> attribute to a wider range of elements. I just want to confirm the
> elements it should be added to, my suggestions are:
>
> Links (a, jump, fork)
> section
> source
> table (tr, td, th)
> Lists (ul, ol, li, dl, dt, dd)
> figure
> note
> warning
> fixme
> icon
>
> Any problems with this list (for my use case as discussed in the "role
> attribute" thread) I currently only need links and sections to have a
> class, however, I can imagine a need arising for the others over time.

Look at the xhtml2 documents, and add class attributes as they do.
IIRC we should put them everywhere.

In any case we should also decide to start moving nearer to xhtml2, and
this means for example to change

   <note></note>

I'm tabling this because as you can see adding a class attribute to
<note> could create problems when we switch to <p class="note">.

I suggest you to look in the archives for the threads about XHTML2,
where I made a detailed comparison between DTDs so you can see what to
change together with the class attribute thing.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -